Deal With The Devil (one-shot/AU)

this has nothing to do with the fanfic "Devil's In The Details" tho the concept of Badtimes is great

   ~*~

What was he even doing here? Mumbo wandered along the endstone that made up the floating end island, hands in his pockets and absentmindedly looking around at the endless void. A strange note had been left on his desk, telling him to come, and for some stupid reason he'd listened.

"You're finally here."

The hermit froze hearing the voice. It was too high pitched to be any of the guy's, but it was also way too silky to be any of the girl's...

A dark wing draped over his shoulder, gently nudging him. "Face us when we speak dearie," the voice urged.

Mumbo slowly turned around to face the person, eyes wide with fear. A tall person with a dark purple dress draped over them with a vibrant violet cloak over one shoulder, clipped with a white clip that had a strange purple symbol on it. A long white braid fell over one shoulder, leading down the spiral of eyes tattooed on their strange dark purple arm. Every time he blinked they seemed to change positions, some closing and some opening. A thin neon violet halo circled around their head and a white mask with pointed edges that drooped down their cheeks completely shrouded their eyes from view, only revealing the chilling smile on their face. On the mask was painted the same dark purple pattern that was on the clip, a square with two corners replaced with dots.

"Wh-who are you?" he demanded, fumbling to grab his sword from his inventory and thrusting it between them with shaking hands. The way they towered over him with that cold smile and looming wings was threatening in an almost guardian-like way. Like a parent about to scold their child.

The person smiled and tilted their head, raising their arm layered with tattoos and snapping their fingers. Another person dropped down from seemingly no where, straightening themselves and grinning down at Mumbo.

They wore the same outfit as the other, though their hair merely flowed in long waves behind them as opposed to a thick braid. The mask on their face pulled up into five spikes like a crown rather than pulled down into points, but the same strange symbol was still painted on the front.

"You have come," the one with the crown-like mask remarked, expression revealing nothing more than a stiff grin.

"We know what you want," continued the one with a braid. "You want power don't you?"

"Everyone does," added the crowned one.

Mumbo only stared up them, bewildered and nerves wracked with fear. "I-I don't know what you mean..." he stammered, sword shaking in his grip. "Wh-why would I want p-power...? I have n-no need for i-it..."

The braid-haired one crouched down to face level to him, gently lowering his sword with their hand. "You want to prove yourself right?" they murmured, their smile softening. "You want to show your friends how great you really are."

"We can help you," the crowned one said, their voice soft. "Give you what you want. What you need."

The noirette below them could only stare back, mind racing and heart pumping. "I have no need for power," he repeated, quieter this time. "Show my friends how great I am? B-but they already like me-"

"Do they?" the crowned one interrupted, tilting their head slightly. "Do they really think of you as great as you truly are?"

"They think of you a fool!" the braided one exclaimed, straightening up and staring down with a contemptuous grin. "A fool who can toy around with electricity like so many of the others! You think you're special? Hah! What a joke!"

Mumbo's eyes went wide, cringing away. "N-no... They don't-"

"Of course they do!" The crowned one sneered, raising a hand to their mouth as they laughed mockingly. "You've heard their comments when you stumble and fall! Even your closest friend doesn't understand a single word from your mouth! And yet he understands everyone else? What a let down he is."

The braided one's grin softened to a kind smile that seemed to warmly invite Mumbo towards their words. "But we can give you the strength to prove yourself. All the power you'll need to make your friends understand! You'll never appear a fool again!"

They both held out their hands, the crowned one's overlaying the braided one's, revealing a swirling purple flame with spun brilliantly against the endless void.

"Take it," said the braided one. "And show them how great you are."

Anxiety clawed at Mumbo, mind spinning. Did his friends really think of him like that? Did they really think he was just a fool?

"Prove that you are not the fool they claim you to be," continued the crowned one.

Could he show them? Show that he isn't the fool they say he is? Show them how wrong they are?

"Prove that you are more than they'll ever be."

Show them that they... are the fools?

Without another moment of hesitation, Mumbo placed his hand in theirs.

The flame quickly spiral up his arm and spread across his eyes, creating a white mask similar to theirs with the dark violet symbol. Large violet tinted wings spread from his back and a neon halo circled his head. His suit turned dark purple and his tie a dark red, a vibrant cloak suddenly draping over one shoulder and held together with a white clasp that had the strange symbol painted on. Similar to the braided one's, his mask dipped down into points on the side but unlike theirs his curled inward slightly and had a smaller spike next to the longer ones.

But as quickly as it had come, the transformation disappeared and Mumbo was left as just a normal player once again.

"You can use your power whenever you'd like," the braided one purred, mouth curling into a wicked smile. "And you may do whatever you'd like. No limitations."

The noirette looked down at his hands in awe, seeing small purple sparks fly from them. The power made him feel energized and invigorated, more than he'd ever felt. And all the freedom that came with it was so refreshing. It felt like he'd finally surfaced from the collapsing waves he'd been trapped under for so long.

He didn't even notice that the ground had long left his feet and shadows had begun collapsing in on his vision as the void consumed him.

   ~*~

an AU where Mumbo makes a deal with the Watchers for Watcher powers aka ya boi gets peer pressured to be an evil lad

alsoiaccidentallymadethispoeticbutsshshshshhshsshh-