Chapter IV

The night before didn't go easy on Chi. She wasn't sure what it was, but the bath did anything but relax her. Chi had Leia debrief her on the mission and the entire time she had, the princess felt this odd sensation... as if someone had been watching her. And it didn't help that it went on well through the night and into the morning.

A mere few hours were all that she had gotten in herself that night. Enough to function. But it crept up on Chi each time she held in a yawn or had to act like she was about to sneeze so no one would notice. The teary eyes didn't help. But she couldn't stop now, she was heavily needed and the galaxy depended on the Resistance.

And the Resistance depended on her.

This is what you signed up for when you ran away from home, Chi thought to herself... even though she knew it wasn't for selfish reasons, rather, the greater good.

"Please make contact if you find anything," Leia said to Chi and the rest of the pilots. "Anything at all."

"Will do, General," one of the pilots spoke as the rest nodded. Chi, however, couldn't stay focused. That sensation was felt yet again and no one around was even looking at her.

Realizing how disassociated the lieutenant was, Leia took in a small breath and walked up to her. "Why do I feel like you're doing everything in your power to make me believe you're okay?"

Hearing her voice, Chi blinked and looked at Leia. "Because I am okay," she partially lied with a nod.

"I understand how... difficult it must be to have such abilities... but, please, talk to me if something is happening. I want to be there for you," Leia pleaded as she looked Chi in the eyes. "I know how strange it must seem, all these senses, all these new emotions... the Force is something one can't understand all on their own. You are not on your own—"

"I know," Chi unintentionally interrupted with a sigh. "Please, Leia... there is enough on your plate. The Resistance and this war is what you need to focus on, not me."

"Chi—"

Giving her a quick hug, with a quiet thank you, Chi turned away and aimed for the X-Wing she now claimed as her own. She could feel the slight tear in Leia's heart, and she could feel faint tears in her own eyes, but the last thing she wanted was for Leia to worry about a princess who chose her path.

"But there is always enough room for you..." Leia softly whispered as she watched Chi pull her helmet on and take off like the rest. "I can't let what happened to him, happen to you..." Blinking away faint tears as Leia could feel Chi's own internal battle with her recent discoveries, she took in a small breath before she heard footsteps approach her.

"General," Kaydel popped up to Leia's right side.

"Lieutenant..." she breathed.

Gulping and adjusting her vest, she took a small step forward to look at her superior in the eyes. "It's Chi..."

"What about her?" She blinked.

"Yesterday... on Ula, I followed her when she suddenly left us. She claimed it was to keep an eye out in case anyone interfered, although the cantina was chaotic..."

"Kaydel..." Leia furrowed her eyebrows.

"I saw her interact with him."

"With—" seeing the look Kaydel gave Leia, her heart skipped a beat. "What happened?"

"They spoke and... he never drew his lightsaber on her. He approached her, grabbed her, and suddenly... they disappeared," Kaydel informed.

Blinking, then looking away, Leia took in deep breaths. "Force teleportation..." she nearly whispered. "I haven't heard of that being used in... so very long."