A New Way

"Fear is a reaction courage is a decision"
-Winston Churchill

"I haven't seen or spoken to my mother in over a year I told her about my sickness via text. She never came to visit me in hospital when I had my operation. When we do talk it's like two strangers having a polite conversation".

"Tell me about your Crohn's Disease Debora".  As they eat Debbie tells her father everything from initially feeling sick to her diagnosis and her operation.

"You're very strong and resilient to have gone through that on your own. Why don't you tell me about your best friend you must have one".

Debbie looks sadly at her father, "I don't have any real friends at all. Well I suppose that's good right no one to sell stories to the papers about me".

"Oh Debora", her father said sadly before hugging her as Debbie begins to weep.

"I was a bookworm who got made fun of, not a lot of people wanted to be my friend growing up. There was one girl Susan Adams but she moved to the states years ago. We've become pen pals and write a lot of letters to each other.

"Can she be trusted not to sell those letters?"

"She can be trusted and I'm sure she will have no problem signing a NDA".

"Give me her details and I'll get the palace staff to start the ball rolling on getting the letters you wrote her back. Tell me how long as it been since you've seen her?"

"Three years".

"If she signs the release forms how would you feel about her staying in Denmark for couple weeks".

"I would love to see Susan again dad, this is real right I'm moving to Denmark to learn to be a princess. Can I say no to being a princess and moving to Denmark?"

"Yes you'll always have the right to say no Debora and I will respect your wishes. My brother will become the next heir if you say no".

Debbie could hear the worry in her father's voice as he spoke. She thought about her situation, if she stays in England her life would be the same as it is now. If she moves to Denmark she will have family and perhaps she can make some friends. She would love to go to university as well.  She will will never be lonely again and she will be with her dad something she dreamt of her whole life. Debbie thought about life as a princess she could really use her position to help people like her. Those suffering from a long term illness, isolation and loneliness.

She could help the poor and the marginalised and she didn't have to learn the language which was a bonus. She looks at the worry etched on her father's face and the opportunity in from of her and makes her decision.

"I'll come to Denmark with you and be your Crown Princess".

Alexsander looks visibly relived at his daughter's words.

"Thank you for doing this Debora it means the world to me to be able to see you every day. I've missed so much of your life already which I'm at fault for I know.  When you get to Denmark you're going to learn to be a Crown Princess and I'm going to allow you to study accounting.  My brother has three children one your age, one younger by a year and one older by a year. You will be surrounded by family who will love you. Your apartment in the palace is huge and you will have your own team of staff who will help you. By that I mean arranging your diary etc, you also get to have a lady-in waiting".

"I'm just happy I get to go to university and have family around me at last. Does mum know I'm going to Denmark?"

"I told her when I stopped the money?"