The Engagement

"Health is a crown that the healthy wear but only the sick can see it".
-Mary

Debbie sits on a chair next to a girl of about eight, "Hi I'm Debora why are you in hospital?"

As the little girl tells her what's wrong with her and Debbie speaks to her parents she wonders how the child manages to stay so upbeat.  Debbie speaks to her last child of the visit who it turned out had a bowel condition just like her. She knew with reporters and cameras everywhere she couldn't really speak to the little boy like she would have liked to.

He told her he was happy to know that if she could live a normal life that meant he could too. A lot of the other kids seemed happy to know she was living with a health condition as well.

"You're like us", says a little boy who had a hole in his heart fixed.

After the chat with the children Debbie and her father went into the staff room to chat with some of the doctor's and nurses. She helps herself to a cup of tea and a biscuit while the doctors and nurses tell them about funding they had received. She found out how they were using it and how much the children had look forward to the royal visit.

As Debbie and her dad unveil a plaque together she looks at her name on the metal and thought wow to herself. When the engagement was over Debbie and her father say goodbye to the children and staff.

Debbie had a stuff tiger in her hand one of the children got his mother to buy for her so when she was sick he could keep her company in hospital. The photographers went nuts when she took the toy from the child. She took a picture with the little boy as well as the doctors and nurses on the ward.

"You did good Debora", her father tells her in the car.

"Thank you daddy it was touching of that little boy to give me that plush toy".

"Yes it was don't forget to write him a thank you note".

That evening Debbie and Susan were in the living room watching the news and she was explaining to Susan what was being said on tv. The press and the people went crazy for the picture of her with the stuff toy and the reason she was given it. The picture had amass 3.8 million likes already since it was posted on the royal family account and even more on her personal royal account.

Debbie gives Susan a turtle, "The reporter is saying that Thomas the little boy who gave me the toy. In a way is giving it to me on behalf of the people as if to say when you're unwell all of Denmark is with you hoping you get better".

"Weren't some of those same reporters trash talking you only days ago?"

"Yep, I guest a cute picture can do a lot".

It was the day before Susan leave and Debbie was taking her final exam for her AAT level 4 in Accounting. She would find out if she passed or failed straight after the test. Two of her bodyguards were outside the room and two of them were inside the room with her along with an assessor.

When it was over Debbie was overjoyed to see she passed with a 86 percent passmark. The press knew Debbie was at the university and was waiting outside for her.

Debbie breathes a sigh of relief it would have been embarrassing to have failed. Now that she passed she didn't have to do some of the modules of her first year degree course.

As Debbie and David her private secretary walked down the stairs of the university she makes a detour to the cafeteria. As she waits in line with David.  Debbie was surprised at just how much he was glued to her side. She orders a smoothie and a chicken sandwich for herself. She waited while David orders and they both sit at a empty table waiting on their food.

After a while someone bought their meals over to them in a to go container. Debbie quickly gets a banana and pays for it before walking out the university.

"Your highness did you pass your exam?" A reporter ask.

Debbie said nothing as instructed by her father and makes her way into the waiting car.  She makes a start on her sandwich and by the time she was back at the palace. Only a bit of the pineapple and mango smoothie was left. David tells her the kitchen staff put the smoothie on the menu because they knew it was her favourite.

"Someone from the university must of told the press I was going to be there today. Luckily for me they only appeared when I was leaving the building".

When she arrives home Debbie freshens up and goes to see her grandfather to her surprise her father was with him.

"Congratulations I heard you passed your test and I hear the last exam is brutal well done. A text on the family's twitter has announced to the world that you've passed the course".

"Thank you daddy wow the people really needed to know that I passed?"

"Yes there was no way to hide you went to the university".

"There's videos and pictures of you there all over social media", adds her grandfather.

"Gramps how are you feeling?"

"Not too bad this as been a busy week for you Debora tell me what do you think so far of life as a royal?"

"I'm getting the hang of it what I'm really trying to say is it would have been nice to spend more time with Susan but engagements come first".

"That will be the story of your life I'm afraid I can't really say try to find a balance as the Crown always comes first".

"Dad is there anything I need to know about the Irish Prime Minister's visit?"

"When I'm with him you will walk with his wife your job is making small talk with her as you walk behind me and her husband. Everything for their state visit is ready it was arranged before the country knew about you. All I ask of you is to please make sure you wear at least couple pieces from Irish designers".

"You father has done this many times before it's like the dinner that happened when your father became king just more formal".

Debbie's father touches her shoulder, "You will be fine kiddo".

"Thanks daddy".

That night Debbie and Susan had a sleep over in her room reminiscing about old times. They promise to start phoning each other more instead of writing one another. The next day when Debbie came back from the airport after saying goodbye to Susan. She was told a security sweep of her room found a listening device. Debbie was very upset Susan was in her room the night before Debbie thought it was a mistake. Until she was told when security sweep her room the night before when she and Susan was raiding the kitchen cupboards nothing was found before the sleepover started.

She knew Susan signed a NDA so she couldn't talk but Debbie couldn't figure out why after everything she and Susan has been through she would betray her now. It didn't make sense to Debbie selling her out the instant the world found a new princess would have gotten her maximum money from the press. Why wait till now to do it?

Was Susan just being nice to her just to betray her. Debbie was glad she didn't discuss too much with her like her dad and grandfather told her. She was just upset she told her about her Victoria's ex-friend making fun of her.

Did Susan really betray her?"