New Chapter

"I've learned that it's all about choice. You can choose to turn regrets into lessons that change your future.
          -Ali Harris

"Darling what's the matter?"

Debbie looks at her parents, "When I was a little girl I use to wish you and my dad would get married again and I would have a younger brother or sister. I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed that my wish became a reality".

"Oh sweetheart",  says Irene holding her tighter.

When Debbie collected herself she ask them why the wedding was so quick when there was eight months left till the baby came.

"We've wasted too many years being apart we want to be married as soon as possible", answers her father.

Debbie understood their reasoning her parents loved each other and were happy to be starting a new life together. A part of her was feeling sad that she never got to experience a childhood with two loving parents. Then she realise as horrible as things were for her growing up it made her into the strong woman that she was today. She knew she would never resent her sibling for having two loving parents throughout its whole life.  She also knew right now in this moment she had a mother and father who loved her to bits and that was enough for her.

"That's understandable" She replies.

Debbie hugs her parents again then take her leave deciding any in depth discussions about Antonio's birthday party will happen at another time. She wanted her parents to enjoy their little bubble of happiness for as long as possible.

She went to her bedroom and change into a lilac playsuit with ballet flats. She was removing her makeup when Antonio walks into the room.

"I'm going to be a big sister".

Antonio pause holding the tie he was removing at a weird angle, "What did you just say?"

"Mum is pregnant and that's not all they're getting married in couple weeks".

Antonio sits on the bed taking his tie and his jacket off before answering Debbie.

"Wow that's just wow, so Denmark will have a queen and you will no longer be an only child. I'll love to see Anette's face when the news is made public. A black queen the first for a European monarchy Denmark is truly progressive. How do you feel about the baby and marriage?"

"I'm genuinely happy about it my dad get to see his child grow up that has to mean more to him that his crown. He and my mother can go on engagements together at last and she can support him in public which I'm happy about.  You and I both know how tiring and gruelling tours can be. I'm happy he has that support in mum now".

"You're a good daughter come here", Debbie walk over to Antonio and he hugs her, "You've a good heart".

They stay in an embrace for a while before Antonio change into blue jeans and a olive shirt, he clips his sunglasses onto the front of his shirt. He takes Debbie's hand and they walk to the nursery and get Johan and Isabelle then go for a walk around the vast palace grounds with them.

That evening Debbie, Antonio, her grandfather and her parents celebrated the two important events that was to take place in the coming weeks and months.

Debbie knew that her father told his brother about the baby but not his children. Her mother wasn't past the three month mark yet and they didn't know if any of Anette's children was still speaking to her. They didn't want her knowing palace information she could sell. She would find out like everyone else about the baby by reading the newspaper.