The Apology

"I maybe many things, and there are even more I'm not but I would never do to you what you did to me and I think that says a lot".
                                -Jessica Katoff

Debbie was now six month pregnant and Victoria was out of rehab and drug free. She was having dinner with Eva, Caroline, Emily and Katherine her friends from university. They all were such a support to her when the tape of her conversation with her mother was made public.

Emily and Greg was getting married Debbie would be an unofficial bridesmaid at the wedding in two weeks time.

When the night was over Debbie made herself a hot chocolate before bed she was staying at Greg's and Emily's new home for the weekend. She loved staying at her friend's house and doing normal mundane things for herself.  She could just be Debbie with them and not have to think about her behaviour. Antonio would join her tomorrow as he had a reception to host that night at the palace and luckily they both had the weekend off.

The next morning Debbie woke up to find Antonio in bed with her turning she look at the clock it was after nine. She walks to the bathroom pees then have a shower and brushes her teeth.

She goes downstairs to see everyone else in the living room nursing a cup of tea.

"Morning guys"'.

"How did you sleep?" ask Eva

"I feel well rested,  it was a nice surprise to see Antonio".

Greg's smiles, "He decided to surprise you we kept it quiet".

"It was a lovely surprise have you guys had breakfast yet?"

"No we were waiting for you guys to get up before we start cooking", says Emily.

"Let Antonio sleep and let's get started", says Debbie.

Everyone got up bowed or curtsy to her before heading into the kitchen. They decided on eggs, turkey bacon, mushroom, oatmeal and milk to make grod(porridge), homemade granola and squash to go with the granola which was a typical danish breakfast meal. Debbie starts making the grod and the others start on the other breakfast items. By the time Antonio came downstairs breakfast was ready. He greets everyone and kisses his wife.

"This looks good".

He sits and starts eating along with everyone else when breakfast was over they all go for a walk together around Greg's and Emily's home which was on Greg's family estate. Years before Debbie was surprised to find out he was from the aristocracy and was heir to a dukedom. He didn't act like he was from a privileged background unlike a lot of the people she had met from her social class he was just so down to earth.

When the weekend was over Debbie and Antonio went back to the palace Debbie places a hand on her stomach the baby was really kicking a lot. When the baby stops kicking she checks her social media as always to see if anything about the weekend was in the paper.

There was nothing it was a habit her father got her into so she would know if someone sold a story on her.

She knew Greg and his family and his father's staff wouldn't talk he was best friend with a future queen and his family loved her. Greg's family came to dinner at the palace two years ago and his father and hers were now great friends.
Greg's father often gave Debbie's family the use of their vacation home and invite them to dinner. Alexsander liked all Debbie's friends and even went to dinner to Eva's and her other friends home couple of times. Alan, Greg's father understood the rules of the aristocracy and did everything he could to protect Debbie and her family when they visited him.

The press knew she was friends with Greg and was therefore close to his family. Debbie was still careful of his staff there's no telling what people would do for money. A statement from the palace went out stating she would be attending the wedding of two of her bestfriends.

All of Debbie's friends from university came from money well to be frank they came from a lot of money like Eva who's family was worth billions. Debbie was really shocked the first time she visited their homes. She thought they all came from working and middle class homes.

When Antonio and Debbie arrives back at the palace David tells Debbie her father wanted to speak to her in his office. Debbie went to see her father, "Hi daddy".

"Hey sweetie how was your weekend?"

"Very relaxing".

"That's good your mother is here she wants to speak to you".

"Why?"

"I don't know but you won't know if you don't speak to her".

Debbie went to where her mother was staying,"Hi mum".

"Hello Your Royal Highness we need to talk after what happened with the bugging of my room. I'm thinking maybe a walk in the garden there's less chance of us being overheard".

"Okay let me just text dad and Antonio to tell them where I will be".

Debbie texts them and she and her mother make their way to the gardens,"Is he treating you well?"

Debbie stop walking, "Why are you here?"

"To make amends and to tell you a secret but first I'm sorry for everything I did to you this time I truly mean it".

"You mean like you did the last time".

"My daughter is six months pregnant and I found out in the newspaper about the pregnancy. I've missed all the milestones you've gone through. I should have been there for you it's your first pregnancy".

"You were barely there for your own".

"That's truly hurtful Debbie".

"Really try not having a mother when you're in pain and hurting next to Antonio you were the first person I wanted to tell I was pregnant along with dad. I wanted to see you happy for me when I showed you my engagement ring. When I was in hospital having my resection I desperately wanted you there. When the pain was so bad I was on my knees crawling to the toilet I wanted you there. When I was diagnosed and thought my world had ended I wanted to cry on your shoulders. When I got my flat I wanted you to visit me and even if there was nothing going on in my life I still just wanted my mum to be there for me".

Her mother started crying Debbie waited for her mother to compose herself then they sit on a bench in the garden.

"I've been selfish Debbie more than selfish I'm sorry I want to be a part of your life now if you allow me to. I've bought a house here I want to be around for you to call on when you need me. I've donated a lot of my money and the €100000 I got from suing the newspaper. I've been in intense therapy seeing everything I said to you in black and white has made me realise what a horrible human being I've been to my only child. I didn't steal your allowance it's in a saving account I was waiting till you were 25 to give it to you".

"Mum I want to believe you and thank you for the apology and I'm glad you did counselling if you really did it". Her mother looks hurt.

"You don't trust me or see me as someone who should be in your life I deserve your hate and mistrust".

"I don't hate you mum I just know not to depend on you and expect you to be there for me. I once wondered if I died and someone told you if you would care. You know I thought you would be happy no more reminder of the thing you regret the most".

Debbie's mother put her arms around her, "I don't regret you. I regret my behaviour towards you but never you. Please give me a chance to make it up to you".

"Why did you move to Denmark and not tell me?"

"I was afraid of your reaction".

"Did your friends in London turn their backs on you?"

"They don't matter let me prove myself to you".