Lance Corporal: The Arrival (chapter 1)

LANCE CORPORAL - Levi x OC (pt.1)

by galateabellator, Oct 4, 2013, 8:02:58 PM
Literature / Fan Fiction / Romance

PART 1 - THE ARRIVAL - Levi x OC

The army was assembling in the main Headquarters of the Survey Corps. All military members were invited to attend an emergency meeting, which was set up by the supreme Commander, Erwin Smith. Everyone waited for the soldiers and their superiors - they were supposed to arrive from their current missions or tasks - all from different areas between and beyond the walls. Some of us took two days before finally reaching the HQ, because of the distance.

Many people were surprised by the actual size of the Scouting Legion, once they'd learned about it.(Newcomers usually believed we were much smaller group than what they'd previously expected). Yes, we were the smallest branch of the military, with an official size of 300 soldiers (which was even lowered by the constant losses on expeditions), but that figure was only for the public domain. We had much more fighters in separate units... and all those units were extremely capable.

By tradition, new cadets are sent to the Central Unit, led by Erwin (for quite some time, if I may add) so it's commonly believed that the number of our troops was limited to the Main Headquarters, and people in it. It's no wonder, considering that the Central Unit usually did the most of the field missions and the most scouting. However, several more units of Recon Corps existed as well, located in all parts of our little caged world, and everywhere outside of it. Erwin led the majority (as Shadis did before him), of course, for he was the supreme Commander. But, him aside, some capable soldiers were in charge for those smaller sections within the Legion. Naturally, they reported back to the Central Unit, to Erwin and his main military force officers - and that system proved to be the most efficient for years.

It was all Erwin's idea to make those separate sections within the legion, naming them after the territory they were covering. Therefore, there were the North Unit, the South Unit, the East Unit and the West Unit - which was mine to command.

My name is Corporal Ezra Schwarz, and I've been on this position for five years.

My unit rode all day until we reached the destination – spacious castle-like house which represented the HQ. We entered a large room with long, wooden tables and benches. The chandelier held around a hundred lighted candles. The torches were burning up on the walls, as dusk slowly turned into darkness. It still felt familiar, even after all these years I've spent away from it.

All the gathered soldiers waited for those who were late. The new recruits were already sitting at the table, next to commander Erwin and the (in)famous Lance Corporal Levi. Well, it's only logical; the younglings are now part of the Central Unit. It's a pity that most of the old setting of CU was wiped out in the fifty - seventh mission outside the Walls. They were all splendid people, extremely good and devoted soldiers... and above all, loyal and protective friends. The rest of us felt disappointment, utter disgust and deep sorrow when we heard about the tragedy. It was never easy to deal with this kind of emotions, no matter how many people we've lost or how many battles we fought.

The new soldiers seemed quite excited. Some looked a bit scared, the others just confused.However, they still had that honest expressions, deprived from horror of facing Titans. The veterans, and those with more battle experience, were visibly tired and moody. They had faces of people who can no longer stand this war against such dangerous, creepy and disgusting enemies, which seemingly were only killing us for amusement. We were being devoured, but not eaten. We were being food, but not digested. So, can we really be considered a form of food? I don't think so. I've looked around.

I knew those depressed and cold expressions of soldiers, with dead eyes that held no life, or hope. They carried expressions of people who only waited to be devoured in one of our following missions. My unit was no different, but I understood my comrades. A very few of these older soldiers could keep a positive attitude and an optimistic view of the future when their friends or loved ones have constantly been devoured or were dying in battles.