Lance Corporal: Pieces Of A Puzzle (chapter 26)

LANCE CORPORAL - Pieces Of A Puzzle (pt. 26)
by galateabellator, Oct 16, 2015, 7:36:55 PM
Literature / Fan Fiction / Drama

Warning: This chapter may contain minor violent scenes and a lot of swearing.

PART 26 - PIECES OF A PUZZLE- Levi x OC

Killing was so easy, so natural that it almost felt like some sort of purification to me. Like I was cleansing, and being cleansed of filth of the world while doing so.

My eyes met Levi's, his gaze was fixed on my own. I knew then... that he wouldn't interfere. He wouldn't try to stop me, not for Historia, and not for anyone. He knew me all too well to try.

Vladimir, on the other hand, was amused. He was the only person who could instantly read through me by taking one look, and he could tell exactly what was happening inside of me. He always did. And in that moment, his eyes were smiling, even if his lips weren't.

I thought that you were gone, your Majesty...

She has never left to begin with, she was just hiding, so skillfully and so deceitfully that I have almost fooled myself into believing that she has entirely disappeared. That she was replaced by someone better, someone who, although wretched, was at least decent. Hell, I hoped to be better Ezra than she ever was, so I lived up to be... almost honorable. Almost moral.

So, I loathed her as much as I needed her, the infamous Queen of Spades. A fifteen year old brat whose killing record almost matched full-grown assassins of the Underground, and whom I suppressed for the longest part of my adult life, hoping to never need her again.

Until now. That little bitch was taking over, and she wasn't exactly famous for being merciful.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Christiana's terrified eyes reflected my image, and I almost couldn't recognize myself.

There is something awfully intimate between the killer and its victim in that deciding moment of taking a life. It's the connection I will never be able to fully explain, but it's there, every time I go against a human being. I love the thrill of the moment where I hold the ultimate power, that petrified look in the eyes of person who wronged me so badly that I have to end his/hers existence in order to make things right and set the scales in balance again.

I didn't care about the little blonde Queen... or my superior officers and colleagues. Honestly, I didn't give a shit about orders, or their latent attempts to stop me. I was in a dark corner of my mind where I fought a battle against my oldest enemy. Me.

It wasn't all about taking Christiana's life because she has betrayed me... as much as it was about protecting the damn world. In a way, she threatened everyone's existence, including my own, and that's enough to pull the killer-trigger in me. I mean... I am not a hero or anything, but her being able to transform into two titan forms was bad enough as it is. We wouldn't stand a chance if she breaks free or if we spare her – and she was abundantly clear about wanting to destroy us all.

Her pulse was beating under my hand, and I could feel her trembling. She was afraid now. My blade was still pressed against her neck, and she was breathing heavily. Waiting for me to make a move. It must have been very intense to go through such an ordeal.

I was breathing heavily too. All those people staring at me, at us... waiting... I had to take a deep breath and decide what to do. I closed my eyes. My heart was beating loudly, and pretty fast, and everything... the darkness, the blackness behind my eyelids... turned red. I closed them harder. My hand slid, and the blade pierced the skin. There was something artistic in cutting, in that single, yet powerful move that decides whether the person lives or dies. The blood flew, and drops landed on my hands, my face, painting me red. Her olive eyes stared at me, and they were empty... empty like the eyes of her former lover... Hans. It felt like justice. It felt... like I needed to do it.