Lance Corporal: All Options (chapter 10)

LANCE CORPORAL - Levi x OC (pt. 10)
by galateabellator, Apr 5, 2014, 10:48:56 AM
Literature / Fan Fiction / Romance

WARNING! This chapter includes some strong language, but, not much :D

PART 10 - ALL OPTIONS - Levi x OC

The supreme Commander Erwin Smith told us all to get a good night sleep and gather necessary strength for tomorrow's battle, but I doubt he really expected soldiers to follow that advice. Despite being a veteran soldier, I could never have a good night sleep if I had an important mission to fulfill the next day. There were people in my squad who couldn't sleep well either, so we had our ways to prepare for battles.

We always did something different to help us pass the time. Those who could sleep, were sent to their rooms to rest (in small building we owned, and where we resided for the most of our time). The remaining soldiers, who suffered insomnia like me or simply were anxious and nervous, usually gathered in front of a huge fireplace. That was our favorite place for meetings. It was nice, warm, and for many of us who didn't have families, it seemed like home.

Sometimes, we only had small talks. Big words could ruin the atmosphere. We usually talked about something trivial... for example, about weather. Also, we recalled our fights, training sessions, recent missions, stuff like that. We would often compare our models of 3D maneuver gears - whose blades were sharper, whose wires seemed stronger, which mechanisms looked newer, who was lucky enough to get a brand new equipment, who stuck with an old/ used one etc.

We discussed speed, strength, the usage, maintenance, every single thing about our primal weapons. During those times, we would resupply our gas tanks, sharpen our blades, clean gears, reminding ourselves about courageous squad mates who died in previous missions beyond the walls, glorying them, or about recent conspiracy theories we've heard (mostly, regarding the King himself and the possible changes in the line of succession).

Some nights were... more quiet than others. That's because some battles were grimmer than others. When we'd run out of small talks, we would sit and wait for the dawn, left with our heavy thoughts. We would nap in our chairs, in all kinds of positions, surrounded by those we cared for, and whom we trusted in. The Western Unit was mostly like that, despite all our character differences. Not all of us liked each other, but we knew the importance of sticking together. After all, we were humans.

In other times, we would talk a lot. We would share common stories from our lives. For example, Hans liked to talk about his childhood, his adventures with friends, how they liked to go out and pretend they were hunting Titans and saving humanity. I guess nothing drastically changed for him when he joined the Survey Corps. Joshua liked to talk about cakes, sweets, and other stuff he cooked or baked while working in his father's bakery. His family runs a very good business with food, considering they usually sell it to nobility. He ended up in military because his older brother kicked him out of business, and out of house, fearing he would surpass him, even if he was a second son with weaker right to inheritance. He was that good. Well, it was a stupid story, but unfortunately true, so poor Joshua ended up making pies and bread for us instead. He didn't complain much, though, he always puts that stupid little grin, like everything in his life is perfectly fine.

Girls liked to talk about celebrations (my cadets always wanted to celebrate something) and especially about boys (and I sooo wanted to maintain the military's seriousness within the unit, God knows I've tried more than once. But, when you are a Corporal who also happens to be a woman, you get dragged to their level and they completely defeat you). They just couldn't resist it. Emotions get a better of us all sometimes.

Anastasia and Hilda mainly gossiped about who liked who when they were younger, or who was dating who during the recon days. Hannah had a boyfriend who was a farmer or something, he failed the tests for military so he went back to work with his parents. Griselda was involved with Albert, to our surprise. They hid it a lot better than Christiana and Hans. Well, Christiana mostly liked to talk about her family in the wall Sina, we didn't get much about their love life. Her family owned a large house with beautiful garden (and needed one too since she had five sisters and a brother. She signed in to protect them). She is that kind of girl, always putting her family before everything else.