[5] Dark Past

I stood there, frozen in place. All the memories from my past came back and hit me like a ton of bricks. When I was younger, I thought love was like a fairy tale. You'd meet your Prince Charming when he whisks you away from your evil stepmother or rescued you from a castle that a fire breathing dragon trapped you in for years. But as I started to grow, I began to realize. The media was filling are young head with lies. What they failed to tell us was, some love is not all smiles and giggles. Some love hurts; some love makes you feel small and weak. Some love will have you waking up with bruises on your body and face. Some love will have you lying to your friends and family because your ashamed of what they might think. But, how can somebody who says they love you hurt you?

"Ms. Wright." My thoughts were cut short by Mr. Thomas

"Huh," I said, snapping out of it while I played with my fingers. By then, Akeem was giving me his full undivided attention just as shocked as me.

"You good?" He said as he looked down at my fingers and back up at me.

"Uh yes, I'm fine, just excuse me please." With that, I sped off to the nearest restroom. Once inside, I just broke down. Seeing him brought back so many memories I've been trying so hard to erase. I said to myself the next time he saw me, I was going to be stronger than ever, but here I am in my bosses bathroom hiding.

"Hey, Is everything good in there?" Mr. Thomas said as he knocked on the door.

"Yes, just give me a minute, and ill be out." I had to stop crying and get it together fast. I splashed some water on my face and wiped my nose. I gave myself one look over and was out the door. Soon as I opened the door, I was face to face with Mr. Thomas.

"You sure you good?" He lifted my face with his finger to get a better look at me.

"Yes," I said, forcing a smile. He was looking at me as if he was trying to read me.

"I don't like lairs, Ms. Wright." He wasn't buying what I was selling.

"I'm fine." I snapped as I broke from his gentle touch and started heading towards the kitchen. Inside I saw Akeem sitting down at the counter, waiting for us to return. Before I could say anything, Mr. Thomas beat me to it.

"Mr. Wilson." Akeem snapped his neck trying to bring his attention back to Mr. Thomas

"Yes, sir." He looked nervous as hell. He never showed fear when he was beating my ass. So, why all of a sudden now?

"Get up and get out!" He snapped, and I was shocked.

"Why, sir? " He said this as he picked up his supplies. Mr. Thomas began walking up to him.

"Why? I think you know why. You're fired, so any business you have with me or from me is over." He was so calm but yet so serious. Akeem turned his head and looked at me with fire in his eyes. I had no control over what was coming out of Mr. Thomas's mouth, but yet he was blaming me. He always finds a way to blame me.

"You angry?" He stepped in front of Akeem, blocking his view of me.

"Do you hear me? I said, are you angry?" Now Mr. Thomas was yelling.

"No, sir, I'm not." He said taking a step back with his hands up. Ugh, what a coward, I can't believe I was scared of him. He was all bark no bite once a real man stepped to him.

"Well, you seem angry, so hit me. Please hit me. I'll have yo ass laying on that floor in a matter of three seconds." I had never seen Mr. Thomas this angry before he was scaring me.

"No, No sir, there's no need for all that." Akeem was trying to plead to Mr. Thomas. Mr. Thomas just shook his head and chuckled.

"Weak, now get yo ass up out my house and don't take a step towards Ms. Wright." He said this with his fist balled up, ready to go to war. Akeem did what he was told, but not before giving me a final look. I knew all too well. I knew this wasn't the end but only the beginning. Mr. Thomas followed, making sure he left before entering back in the kitchen. I was playing with my fingers as I was waiting for him to speak.