Episode 9: Chastity

We had broken up into teams

We had broken up into teams. I was with Duke. I left Recah in T's capable hands and Marshall was in charge of Lie and Eni.

This was something we needed to do. I had no idea how much this place had changed while I was gone, and the others needed to get an idea of what was where. I could only be in so many places at once.

Really, I hadn't seen much change. A few places got a new coat of paint, but that wasn't much.

At first, I sort of wish I hadn't paired with Duke but then I remembered why I paired everyone like I had.

I didn't wanna be alone with any of the girls. I didn't need any of the ladies spreading rumors that I had a girlfriend. Recah might've been my girlfriend, but they didn't need to know that. I could've gotten away with pairing with Lie since she easily passed for a junior high kid, but I still wasn't sure it'd be a good idea.

Lie needed to pair with Duke or Marshall but I couldn't leave her alone with Duke since they didn't know Earth culture well. That was why she was with Marshall.

Recah wasn't thrilled when I mentioned we needed to go out in groups. With how spooked she was at Hannah's, I wasn't surprised. Because of my earlier reasons, I was left with the choice between Marshall and T. Marshall might've been her big brother, but they rarely interacted. That was why I put her with T.

I could've paired with Eni and people hopefully wouldn't ask too many questions. Still, T and I needed to let go. We couldn't protect him forever. Marshall could take care of them. I knew that.

I actually hadn't been alone with Duke that often. He spent most of his time with Ai, Lie, and Marshall. Most of mine was with Recah, my siblings, Leon, and Ai. I sort of wished Ai came with us. She was my favorite person to ramble through problems with when I couldn't ask Noelle and T was still little.

"So, this is where you grew up?" Duke walked with his hands behind his head.

"One of the places, anyway."

He was watching the sky. "Where did you spend more time? Here or that place where we ran into your dad?"

"Here. I went to school here and we were only at that property in the summer. I always preferred it here."

"I dunno what it is about this place, but it feels smaller than the towns back home. Not because people don't leave in most of it, either. If we were scoping out a town there, I'd half expect a ghost to jump out at us any minute."

I was laughing on the inside. And yet, I ran into him in a place like that, alone, once before.

"I'd definitely consider Artania a small Earth town. People know each other pretty well here."

"Did you like it here?"

"Yeah. It's a nice place. The area around the other property is always pretty chaotic."

The worst part about my life here was Audrey. That didn't have much to do with Artania itself, though. I kept to myself cuz of T and Eni, but that didn't make this a bad place. That was just my own baggage.

"It couldn't be that bad."

"I never liked crowds. It was painful with my quest tormenting me. Besides, I actually like blending into the background."

He rolled his eyes. "You expect me to buy that?"

"If you don't want to believe me then don't."

We were in the park by now. We wandered into the picnic grounds. No one was using them when we arrived.

Someone was coming, though. I wasn't sure who they were.

A girl approached us. She was tall. Her hair was black with blue eyes a lot like me.

"Alain?" She was staring. "Do you remember me?"

Gracious Kayleigh. "Chastity?"

"You two know each other?" Duke shouted.

"It's been a really long time." She put a hand on my cheek. "My God. You're all grown up now. I can still remember the little boy my baby sister used to play with."

"It really has." I had tears in my eyes. "I'm sorry... Chastity..."

She teared up, too. "Don't be. What happened wasn't your fault. Even if I was in China, Vanna would've wanted to come live with me."

"I can't believe that. I can't believe that."

"I feel like it should be my fault, too." She laughed. "But it wouldn't change anything. Vanna would let us have it if she were here right now."

I laughed, too. "She totally would."

She pulled her phone out. "Here's my number."

"Thanks." I put it in my phone. "It hurts a lot, doesn't it?"

"It does, but this is Vanna we're talking about. She'll pull through somehow. She's always been a tough nut to crack."

I had to make myself believe that. I had no idea what Taradita was like. No one had ever mentioned it.

She whispered in my ear, "I'm here if you ever need to talk."

That was when her phone went off.

Chastity rolled her eyes. "I need to run. Sorry. My friend needs my help again."

"Mata ne."

I had no idea what drove me to say that. She wasn't Ai or Dad. Chastity probably had no idea what I just said.

Either way, she smiled on her way out.

"What the crap just happened?" Duke nearly shouted.

My legs buckled beneath me. I was nauseous. I could hardly breathe. It felt as though invisible walls were closing in on me.

Duke grabbed me before I could fall. "Dude. What's the matter?"

I pushed myself up. "It's nothing. I'm fine. Let's head back."

"You seriously expect me to buy that?" He pulled my arm around his neck. "I know you'll sweep it under the rug until you can't."

I didn't exactly feel great, but some of it passed. I could stand. That was good enough for me.

I'd sneak into the mountains when no one was looking. That was the only way the tight feeling would pass. It'd be a good place to think too. Some of my best work had their seeds sown in the mountains.

Heck. Who knows? Maybe Kayleigh would be gracious and give me a clue to find Taradita. It wasn't exactly likely, but a guy could dream, right?

***

And Chastity has made her debut! Thoughts on her and the conversation they had? Theories? Predictions?

~Shino out!