Episode 15: Run in With a Train

"Alain, is it? This is your bit of earth-shattering news

"Alain, is it? This is your bit of earth-shattering news." He took a breath. "Would you rather I told you without other ears listening in?"

I sat on the couch with Recah. "No, this is fine. I'm listening."

"A girl called Vanessa Ventura went missing nearly a year and a half ago, right? It happened in December?"

How could this guy possibly know that? Was he really an Engrad?

"That's right..."

"You also haven't seen that girl since you were four-years-old. That's my understanding, anyway."

I nodded.

"Izaz was always different from the other kids. In the month leading up to your arrival at the palace, my brother was having visions every day. That power had just come in a few months earlier, coinciding with his fifth birthday."

Marshall jumped in. "Why does that matter?"

"He had come to our parents on a Sunday. It was eleven or so. I was up letting Mom dote on me since I hadn't been feeling good before this." He took another breath. "He was sweaty, jittery, and frantic. This vision was like no other. It was his first that wasn't tied to someone in his life."

Visions? What kind of visions? Were they anything like the experiences I had with my siblings growing up?

"It was of a boy with dark hair and eyes of silver who was shorter than him."

Eyes of silver? My eyes were never silver.

"The detail that stuck with me all these years was the clothes. It wasn't snowing, the grass wasn't dead, there weren't any clouds or anything, but the boy was dressed for winter. He swore it was a thousand degrees outside."

Masquerade probably would. My clothes weren't meant for most people to wear in summer.

"I always dress for winter. I can't deny that." I had sweat on my face. "I was short and have dark hair, but silver eyes? My eyes have always been blue."

He sighed. "I don't know much about what you looked like at that age, but everything else fits. Some details you just can't make up."

"Peter." Marshall looked like he bit his lip. "Are you saying the girl's disappearance was your brother's fault?"

He looked at me. "In the vision, you were playing with a girl as fiery as her hair. Her eyes were like staring back into a sea of trees." He stared into my eyes. "Smiles are universal. It was clear you cared for the girl."

Recah jumped in here. "But if he knew the girl hadn't been in his life for well over ten years then why did he take her?"

"Izaz sensed his deep connection to the princess. It mirrored the one he had to the girl. He figured they could use her if he ever decided to oust the Council. No idea why they didn't when push came to shove, though."

All I could say was, "Oh, my God..."

I ran to my bedroom. Alastair followed me.

Once I got there, my legs gave out on me. Alastair helped me to my bed.

"So, it really is my fault..." I vomited on the floor in front of me. "My fault..."

Alastair sat down beside me. "It's not really your fault. If anything, it's cuz that guy's little brother had powers. Those powers aren't one people come across every day."

"Who was that?"

Alastair got a washcloth out of my bathroom. "The guy said his name was Peter Ferguson. Not sure what the story is with his brother. You probably know more about that than I do."

I wiped the vomit from my mouth.

Masquerade had a brother? No way...

"So, Vanny got caught up in it because the kid saw a vision of us together? So, that wouldn't have happened if we never met?"

"You can't blame yourself for it." Alastair let me lean into him. "I went through a pretty rough time when I was your age. Guilt and responsibility were incredible emotions. I was hurting when I did my work. Those feelings made it worse. It's not something I'd wish on my worst enemy."

He was hurting? What had he been through? Maybe if anybody could understand how I felt, it was him. I definitely wanted to talk to him more.

"Ain?" Eni came into my room.

Alastair was about to leave, but I grabbed him before he could. I wanted him to stay.

Eni sat on my other side. He wrapped his arms around me. It was a simple but incredible gesture.

I remembered the first thing that happened after he woke up, once we were back in the palace to stay. He jumped into my arms and gave me a warm embrace. He never grew out of that.

"Wanna talk?"

I didn't. I just wanted him next to me. That was enough.

A big, golden dog barreled into the room. It had a red vest in its mouth.

Alastair's jaw dropped. "Honey?"

It jumped into his lap and nuzzled him.

Eni looked like a deer caught in the headlights. "A doggy?"

Alastair sighed, took the vest from the dog, and put it on them. "Yep. Honey's mine."

"Service dog...?"

"Yeah... I think you could say that..."

Was whatever Alastair went through that bad? As far as I could tell at first glance, that could be the only reason he had the dog.

I wanted to cry more, but that wouldn't change or solve anything. What was done was done.

Alastair brushed my hair out of my face. "Try to get some rest, alright? I know these things are like having a run in with a train but fighting it won't make it better."

I had a dizzy spell, but luckily, I wasn't in a position where I could fall. Eni brought my head into his lap.

"It'll be okay, Ain. We'll make it okay. Just like you did when you brought us home."

"You'll be alright with your brother, right?" Alastair asked.

My brother? How did Alastair know Eni was my brother?

"I need to talk to your friends." Alastair got up and the dog went with him. "I can come back if you want."

What I really wanted was to go into the mountains. Still, I wasn't sure I had the strength to. I was dizzy, nauseous. My body felt like it was made of bricks. I also didn't want Eni to leave me.

"Sleep if you need to." Eni smiled. "I'm not going anywhere. I'll be right here when you wake up."

Mama came in. "Sounds like everyone's had an eventful morning."

I grabbed her hand. "Yeah..."

She whispered in my ear. "You shouldn't blame yourself, sweetie. You never wanted these things to happen. Sometimes Kaleigh just plans things beyond us."

Why though? Why did She let people hurt?

"Sometimes, you play; sometimes, you work. Sometimes, you eat; sometimes you drink. Sometimes, you take a bath; right now, it's time to nap."

That was when I was swept up in the world of sleep.

***

Poor Ain! Thoughts on his bombshell? How the others tried to help? Theories? Predictions?

~Shino out!