Episode 12: Empathy

I was in the front room putting my shoes on when Duke came in

I was in the front room putting my shoes on when Duke came in. "What are you up to?"

"I wanna poke around more. You can come if you want."

Lie practically bounded into the room. "Can I come?"

I smiled. "Of course."

Duke raised an eyebrow.

Lie put her hands on her hips. Her voice cracked. "The walls are shrinking! I don't like it!"

Hand over my mouth, I was trying not to laugh. "Let's go then."

I grabbed my house key and we left. This time, I went the opposite way than the one Duke and I took last time.

For a while, we were just looking at the buildings. A few of them were repainted since last I saw them. Still, they didn't look as nice as the ones I saw the other way.

That was when the ripples changed. Someone was coming. I knew them, but I hadn't seen them in a while. There was an air about their ripples. I didn't like it.

Out of the corner of my eye, Lie went stiff as a board.

"So, you finally decided to show your face again?"

I knew that voice. I knew that voice. Ripples bombarded me.

"It's been a long time." Audrey put her hands on her hips and hunched to one side. "What have you done for yourself since graduation? Been Miss Sarah's errand boy? Worked at the mall? Restaurant job?"

"Who do you think you are, lady?" Duke probably had steam coming out of his ears.

Audrey scoffed. "Simmer down, boy. I was just poking a little fun." Her phone went off. "Later, Blockhead. Places to be, people to see."

She strutted off like she was a model in some fashion show.

I fell to my knees.

"Who the crap was that?" Duke asked. "Who does she think it is?"

"Her name's Audrey. She's definitely not the sweetest apple in the bunch." A boy with fair hair offered his hand. "You alright, Watanabe?"

I—I knew him. This was one of the guys Audrey hung out with in school. He was the one who wasn't as strongly influenced by her so-called "spell".

I let him help me up. "I'm fine."

Lie basically rammed into Duke. I felt her heart hammering in her chest through the ripples. "That lady is so cold! That lady is so cold!"

"Need a hand?" he asked.

Duke took Lie into his arms and stroked her curls. "I have everything under control."

My flames were pooling in my ears. I'd never had that happen before. Man did it hurt.

He looked at me out of the corner of his eye.