Episode 70: Lights of Love

I'd been on edge all day

I'd been on edge all day. The things I usually did to calm myself weren't working. I was glad Seb insisted I take sleeping medicine before I went to sleep last night. Not only would I likely not have slept a wink, I probably would've felt worse than I already did today.

Seven could not come soon enough. That was when we were going to be at the place. When I didn't have to worry about the others catching on. Noah and his family would be making sure the rest of our friends enjoyed themselves.

I caved and asked if they'd do it yesterday. I wasn't sure if I could keep my nerve with them watching us.

I had to check if I had the ring in my pocket three times before I left the house. It would be a nightmare if I forgot it. How would I even come back from something like that?

Anyway, we split up once we got to the place. I paid for me and Recah while Hannah likely paid for Alastair, Ran, Noah, and our friends.

I went right since Seb told me to. He'd sent me a map last night. I wasn't the only man who wanted to propose here. The people who worked here had some idea of how to set up a great proposal.

The first thing I saw was a man in a knit cap. He was selling hot chocolate. It looked good. It was a good call on Seb's part to specifically tell me to go this way first.

"Honey." Recah grabbed my hand. "What is that man over there selling? It smells good."

"Hot chocolate." I cracked a smile. "Let's go get some. I promise it's good."

Recah laughed as I led her over. "If you insist..."

"Two hot chocolates, please," I said.

The man winked. "Coming right up." He passed them to us right away. "On the house. Enjoy your night."

Recah and I sat on a bench with our hot chocolates.

Her eyes were the size of saucers. "Did that man really just give these to us for free?"

"Yeah, he did." I smiled. "Sometimes, people like do that. Especially once it starts getting close to Christmas."

I'd have to talk to Seb, and maybe Ran, later. Seb seemed like the sort that he might have paid for it. Or, it was possible Hannah paid for it without telling me.

Whatever. I was going to enjoy my hot chocolate before it got cold.

Her eyes sparkled. "You said this was called hot chocolate? We had chocolate back home, but I've never had this before. Where was this all my life?"

I'd have to call Ai later. She'd want the news, but I'd also have to ask if she'd had hot chocolate. She'd had more access to opportunities than the others did.

We went to enjoy the lights themselves after that.

One area had trees and candy canes and reindeer and other Christmas-themed things. One thing in particular caught her eye.

"Hey, Alain?" Recah leaned into me. "What's that deer called? I've never seen one like it before."

"It's called a reindeer." I stroked her hair. It was so soft. "They say that while you sleep on Christmas eve that a man in a big, red suit called Santa brings good boys and girls presents. He carries them in a flying sleigh drawn by reindeer."

She looked into my eyes. They held a child-like light. "So, it's like a carriage that flies, and reindeer pull it instead of horses?"

"That sums it up nicely." I gave her a side hug. "People on horseback delivered mail, right?"

She nodded.

"That's sort of like what Santa does."

"I wish we had a Santa..."

I laughed. Lie and Eni would probably say something to a similar effect if I told them that.

We went to a set themed after animals next. Her heart was melting. I'd probably be kicking myself later if I hadn't shown her that.

The next set was food themed. The centerpiece was a giant gingerbread house. It also had mugs of hot chocolate and gumdrops and even more candy canes.

Eventually, we got to the end of the exploration of the lights. I was glad I memorized the map Seb sent me. It made everything so much easier. As far as I could tell, Recah had no clue what I had in store for her next.

We came to a stop in front of lights that formed the shape of a crown.

We both took a moment to take in the mesmerizing sight in front of us. It was a moment I'd never forget. I knew that.

This was the moment...

I got on one knee and pulled out the ring. "Rebecca Glynnhorn, will you marry me?"

"Kayleigh..." She threw her arms around me. "Of course, I will!"

I put the ring on her finger then picked her up and spun her around. "I love you and you will always be my princess."

"Wait..." She gazed into my eyes. "You told us Tiana is your cousin, right?"

I nodded.

"Then aren't you like a prince or something?"

"Mama was born as the second princess."

That was when it hit me.

"If Mama didn't give up her birthright then I would be considered a prince... From what I understand of how that works, I would be third in line, right now..."

Recah pecked my cheek. "Then I'll be by your side, come what may. I know we can handle whatever Kayleigh throws our way."

We exchanged a warm embrace. It was utterly magical... 

***

Aw... Yay for Ain and Recah! Thoughts? Theories? Predictions?

~Shino out!