Episode 30: A Duke's 16th

I was so excited for today

I was so excited for today. I was surprised I didn't get up with the ama.

Today was Duke's sixteenth birthday. It was an important day for us Engrads. We could do whatever we wanted. Duke could get himself a house back home if he really wanted to.

Even though Masquerade was awful, we got to make Marsh's special. Ai had sent us lots of yummy food. She gave us money, too. As much as Marsh's bonus. That got us through spring without any problems.

Duke was in the shower when I got up. Marsh was gonna come in soon if he hadn't already. He and Recah were gonna take Duke out for "coffee" in the afternoon.

We needed time to set everything up. The food wasn't gonna cook itself and the table wouldn't arrange itself. After they left, Alain was gonna go home to get Ai. She deserved to share in everything even if we lived really far apart.

It was gonna be mostly me and Alain setting up. Alain got good at it helping his mom and he and Duke weren't very close. I couldn't go with Marsh since we weren't sure if I'd be able to keep the surprise.

Oh, and before he went to get Ai, Alain was gonna drop Phoenix off with Alastair's family. They wanted him to play with his friend. They might not have been sure if he was good at keeping surprises. This seemed like his first surprise party.

We had a light lunch today. After we finished, Alain left with Phoenix. Ten minutes or so after that, Marsh and Recah left with Duke for the coffee shop Alain told them about.

It was one o'clock or so when Alain got back with Ai.

Even though it'd only been about a month, it felt like I hadn't seen Ai in forever. She was wearing a dress that went to her knees. Ai looked really pretty.

"Good to see you, sweetie." Ai leaned into me. "I think you grew while you were gone."

I leaned into her hug. All my words left me.

"Actually." Alain looked at us. "Can you two stand back to back?"

Ai got behind me. She kicked her shoes off. "What do you think?"

"She's taller than you now." Alain looked at us again. "By about a couple of inches."

My eyes were probably sparkling. "Wow! I'm taller than somebody who's older than me!"

"Are your siblings home?" she asked

"Eni is hanging out with his friend. T's in bed because that isn't fun."

Ai shook her head. "That is never fun. You think she needs anything?"

"I wouldn't know." Alain adjusted his shirt. "You could ask her about it. She and Recah seem to enjoy having someone they can complain to."

"I'd imagine they would." Ai smacked her cheeks. "Where were you planning to have the party?"

"Out in the garden. It shouldn't take that long to set it up. The most time-consuming part should be cooking. We need to make enough to feed at least eight mouths."