Episode 64: Purely Engrad

Mama dropped me off at Chastity's parents' house before she went to her meeting since it was on her way

Mama dropped me off at Chastity's parents' house before she went to her meeting since it was on her way. I probably would have preferred to walk to calm my nerves, but I couldn't say no to Mama. It was also especially cold today.

Chastity'd mom let me in when I got to their house. She offered me a hot cocoa, and I mainly took it to not be rude. Dad accepted gifts primarily because of his culture. That part of my brain seemed to be winning today. I was struggling to even think in English.

"Chastity should be here in a minute. She got stuck in traffic." Her mom sat down on the other couch. "In case you're wondering, she didn't tell us what she wanted to talk about, either." She looked into my eyes. "How have you been doing since you found out about Vanna? I'm not sure what that feels like when it's an old friend."

"I've been alright."

Truth be told, I hadn't been thinking about her lately. After the last battle, my sole focus was caring for my siblings. There wasn't much room to think about much else. I'd spent more time sleeping the last few days or so since Mama made me take a sleeping pill the night before and the night of our family chat as well as last night after she found out Chastity had news for me and her parents. She must've been worried I'd crash after everything that happened.

Anyway, I wished Chastity's mom would stop talking to me. She just wouldn't stop. She was making me tired. My English brain wanting to shut off didn't help the matter. Honestly, I wondered if it would have been easier to carry a conversation in French even though it was my weakest language.

Her dad came in and sat beside his wife. "It's good to see you, son. I can still remember when you would run after Van and follow her lead."

I just said thank you since I didn't know what else to say or know if I could manage much else.

Chastity came through the door. She had a grocery bag on each arm.

"I could have gone to the store!" Her dad grabbed the groceries from her.

"I needed to pick something up, so I called Mom to see if she needed anything." She shrugged. "Might as well pick up two birds with one stone if you can."

We sat down in the living room as soon as those two got the groceries put away. It was time to get down to business.

Chastity looked her parents in the eye. "Mama, Papa, you know I love you, right?"

"Of course, we do, sweetie." Her mom furrowed her eyebrows. "We'll always love you."

She decided to stand up. "My memories finally came back."

Those words were like a ton of bricks. I couldn't even imagine how her parents felt.

"Your memory's back?" her dad asked.

"Pieces, at least. Enough to have some idea of who I am." She turned to me. "You must be wondering why I asked you to be here."

Of course, I was. She didn't tell me anything.

She met my gaze. "I was born to Hiroto and Sayako Koizumi. And my given name was Sakura." She smiled at her parents. "Sakura means 'cherry blossom'. That must be the reason all I could ever give you when you asked about my name was 'cherry'."

Her mom had her hand over her mouth. "It's a beautiful name."

"It really is," her dad said.

She knelt in front of me. "Do you remember that day when your friend called? It's alright if you don't."

"Not very well... I was tired..."

"What's her name?"

I bit my lip. "Ai. Ai Koizumi."

Her dad perked up. "Was that the only thing that made you remember?"

"There were other things. I was sure I had a Japanese name since I was fluent, even if I didn't make a show of it. Something nagged at the back of my brain when I studied monarchies."

"Is that why you choose to study history and Japanese in college?" he asked.

"It was, but I convinced myself it'd help me unlock my hidden past."

Her mom picked up her mug. "Did you have other interests?"

"Teaching." She smiled. "When I lived with Daddy, I loved teaching the little ones. We lived a similar life to Mrs. Sarah, but I think Daddy was retired."

"Did you ever take her offer?" her mom asked.

"You'll have to wait and see." She turned back to me. "Your friend, Tiana. I don't remember if I got to see her presented or anything, but I recognized her face. What was her mama's name? Was it Cece?"

I nodded.

Her dad set his mug down. He probably didn't want to spill his drink. "How did you know that?"

"Her mama was the queen when I lived with Daddy." Her eyes shone. "She's the splitting image of her mama, isn't she?"

She was...

"Why were you interested in the girl on the phone, though?" he asked.

"I don't know how well I hid it when I saw her face, but I was in shock. I saw my birth parents' faces in her face. She had Daddy's hair and Mama's nose. His eyes and her mouth. I saw bits of my younger selves in her, too."

Her dad looked at me. "What do you think about all of this?"

It took everything I had to not code switch. "It all makes sense now..."

Her mama gave her a hug. "This doesn't change anything. You're still our precious daughter."

Her dad was awkward about it, but he joined in on the display of affection.

She and I left her house after that, so we could talk alone.

She put her arms around me. "We can talk about this another day. You weren't feeling good today, were you?"

"We can talk like this." I'd finally slipped into Japanese. "I don't want to English anymore."

"Okay." She stroked my hair. "Let me drive you home. It's really no bother."

"Okay..."

***

Thoughts? Theories? Predictions?

~Shino out!