Episode 54

Our battle with "the ringmaster" was a couple days ago

Our battle with "the ringmaster" was a couple days ago. T still hadn't woken up yet. Her psychic energy still needed to replenish. Waiting for that to happen was maddening, but I needed to be sure Eni was taken care of. The others would do it if I asked, but it was still my responsibility as his big brother.

Ame came by this morning to share her energy with T and check on her. It was low but seemed to be recovering very quickly. It was almost as if someone else had also been sharing with her. I had no idea who. Eni had the power to, but that didn't mean he knew how to do it.

I wished I had that ability. I could help her get better faster if I did. Maybe she could be awake now if I could.

Eni dozed off next to T and was napping right now. I was trying to read my mystery. It wasn't working. I couldn't figure out why. It wasn't like I was super tired. I'd had worse nights than this.

I really did want to read. I put my mystery back in its place on my shelf then got a book off my "light reading" shelf. At that moment, I didn't care which one I grabbed.

Again, I just couldn't read. I couldn't concentrate. I couldn't get through the first paragraph. I thought about trying a light novel, but I didn't expect the results to be much different.

Anyway, I needed to try to wake Eni. He'd been napping for about an hour by now. If I didn't wake him soon, he might not be able to get to sleep tonight. I also wasn't sure when the last time he took a shower was.

I rubbed my little brother's back. "Eni, I need you to wake up, bud."

He groaned.

"It's not good to sleep all the time. You can go to bed later."

Eni's eyes opened halfway. His cheeks were red. He didn't seem to be especially warm. He buried his face in my shirt and whined.

"I need you to take a shower. You'll feel better."

Eni trudged out of bed. I watched him go to his room to be sure he wasn't going to bump into anything.

After I was satisfied my brother would be okay, I went into the kitchen. Mama had brought us some muffins last night. Rosemary had gone to town and made too many. I was craving one right now.

These ones were chocolate. Rosemary had done excellently like always. Although it was difficult to ruin a chocolate muffin (unless your name was Marshall...).

I apparently left my bedroom door open when I went into the kitchen. I could feel Mama was in there through my ripples.

I could somehow feel that Mama was caressing T's hair. I wasn't sure if my ripples had ever helped me see that before.

"Oh, Tia... I wish I could help you like your Nana would be able to. She's just like you." Mama's voice shook. "She hasn't seen you since you were really little. She still loves you, though."

Tia? Why did Mama call her that? As far as I knew, only Leon, her parents, and Noelle called her that.

T's nana? Who was that? How would Mama know them?

I felt Mama lift her head. "Is that you out there, Lany?"

My breath got caught in my throat. I couldn't move. I felt sweat on my forehead.

"It's alright, Lany." Mama's voice was soft, barely audible. "Come here."

I went in but I was afraid to get too close.

Mama got up and pulled my head to her heart. She stroked my hair. "I promise I'll explain what you overheard. Let's wait for Tia to wake up first." She kissed my forehead. "Are you scared?"

"Kaze's gonna wake up tomorrow or the next day. I know she will." I had tears in my eyes, "I'm still scared. I'm still scared."

"It's alright to be scared." Mama gave me a tight hug a lot like the ones she would give me when I was scared, especially as a little boy. "You don't have to pretend you're not scared just to be brave for your little brother."

"But he needs me."

"That doesn't mean that you need to bottle everything up. It's not good. Problems will come to haunt you later."

I knew Mama was right. That was a major, if not the reason, I had so many nightmares growing up. She of all people knew I had a lot of them. She was the one who took care of me, after all. The only one who could compete with her in that regard was Noelle.

Noelle had the power to help people with their dreams. There wasn't much she could do about my worst ones, though.

"Where is your brother?"

"I told him to take a shower. Want him to stay up for a while, so he can sleep tonight."

Mama looked at T again. "That's good." She brushed T's hair out of her face. "How have you been sleeping?"

"As well as I can with T like this."

"Is there anything else we can do to help her?"

I drew a long breath. "I could see if this person we know could help her, but I already asked her to come once today. I'd rather wait 'til tomorrow before I ask again."

"Because you don't want to ask too much of her?"

"Do you know how psychic powers work?" My flames pooled in my cheeks. "It sounded like you might."

Mama nodded.

"Anyone with the power who knows how can share their energy. They have to be careful, though."

"It could hurt them if they overdo it."

I nodded.

Since the humidifier beeped to let me know it was empty, I got up to refill it.

The stuff Hannah gave me was apparently meant to be used in a humidifier. It went in the same place people put the solution they used on sick people.

"Is this for your sister?"

"I told you about someone called Noelle, didn't I?"

Mama nodded.

"She was a big help to me while I was away, trying to get my brother and sister back. Her best friend, Hannah, lives in this neighborhood. Hannah has been helping me with the Vanna thing since I got home. She had another friend of ours hook us up with this stuff."

"It's good to know you and your friends have other people in your corner, Lany."

It was. Even if I couldn't always see it.

***

Thoughts? Theories? Predictions?

~Shino out!