Episode 51: The Ringmaster

Eni's birthday had come and gone

Eni's birthday had come and gone. Even Halloween had passed. It was now time for us to face our second Lock. Marshall, Recah, and my siblings would go with me this time.

We left the house around eleven in the morning, so that we wouldn't have to wake Eni up extra early. Even though he was older now, if still wasn't fun to wake him up before he was ready. Once, when we did, he nearly tripped down a flight of stairs in his half-awake state. Leon, their caretakers, T, and I nearly had a heart attack. He could've gotten hurt if no one was there to catch him. Not to mention, sometimes he would be cranky. It was no fun to see Eni like that. Basically, it felt like someone had taken over the usually lovable boy.

We didn't make a show of us leaving, either. I didn't know about T, Marshall, or Recah, but I didn't want to worry Lie or Duke. It was plain to see they were worried about Marshall when he was hurt after our first battle. I didn't want them to worry when there was nothing, they could do to help us.

The gate spit us out near where we needed to go. That was good. We needed to discuss a few things before we went charging in, but that didn't mean we needed to waste a lot of time getting to the place.

"We need to be on guard," I said. "There's no telling what this Lock could have waiting for us."

Marshall and T exchanged glances. "We can't be sloppy like we were last time."

T's eyes were pulsating. I could tell she was ready for whatever might lay ahead.

"Did you guys plan anything new this time?" Recah asked.

"Not really..." I scratched the back of my neck. "Of course, we're stronger than we were back then, but we couldn't really come up with any viable strategies or new gear that could help us."

T gazed toward where we were heading. "But, we can't doubt our abilities. It could cost us. As long as we're together, we should be fine."

My big sister was right. We could only do our best. Still, one could accomplish a great many things in a group. A group could accomplish more than if each member bundled individual pieces of work together.

I put a hand on Eni's shoulder. "Are you ready, little brother?"

He gave me a big smile.

My little brother was an incredible boy... I couldn't be sure if he truly understood what we were going to do. Still, I knew he would follow us anywhere...

***

We charged in after that. My ember lit our way. T and Eni's eyes were dominantly silver and red respectively. The rest of us had our weapons at the ready.

A man in a top hat awaited us. He wore a red suit with white stripes. He looked like he could be the ring master at a carnival.

He bowed to us. "Welcome to my domain, Key Keeper and your allies."

We exchanged glances, although Eni didn't seem phased by his words. This had to be too good to be true. Why would he greet us so warmly if he was truly a Lock? If you could even call it warmth... If what the people in the cafe told me was true?

"If you don't like people wandering into your domain," I asked, "why are you being so kind to us?"

Marshall and T's eyes widened.

"It was my job to entertain crowds. I must always be a good host, even if I despise trespassers."

I had to admit that was a reasonable feeling. I never liked when Audrey barged into my room growing up.

"Let's cut the small talk then." Marshall gritted his teeth. "Your words mean nothing. We will continue our quest until it's complete. Regardless of who opposes us."

I smirked. "Well said, Marshall."

The wind picked up around us. Marshall withdrew his blade.

The ringmaster pulled a small blade out of his top hat. "As you wish." He bowed again. "It's show time!"

Something drove me to make the first strike. I threw flames at the ringmaster.

The ringmaster ducked and charged at my little brother. Eni reflexively threw up a wall of flames in response. Eni then took a few steps back.

Marshall crept up behind the ringmaster.

He sidestepped before it could make contact. Wheeling around, the weapons clashed. He pushed hard enough with the knife to nearly make Marshall stumble backward.

All of a sudden, I felt ripples nearby. There was earth here.

I chucked a ring of rocks at him, but he jumped to the side in time.

He ducked to evade T's wind whip. It was almost like he sensed it coming. I had no idea how he could manage such a feat.

Marshall went in for another strike. And yet again, the ringmaster parried his attack.

Blue flames. Eni's flames appeared wilder than mine when he threw them at the ringmaster.

T's now predominantly pink eyes pulsated more intensely. "I need time!"

"Why?" Eni and I asked. We probably looked like deer caught in the headlights.

Marshall charged again.

The ringmaster knocked the blade to the ground, prompting Marshall to jump back. He evaded my fiery shots, albeit more slowly.

"Be gone!" T rose in a ball of wind. Her blast made the man disappear.

Eni ran to catch our sister. The pink in his eyes took precedence. He stroked her hair then put his palm on the center of her head. His body gave off a pink flash. "I can't believe she did that."

I wondered why he touched her forehead like he did but at that time, it didn't matter. I should have known she would try that again. I hoped in vain, even though we hadn't discussed this, it wouldn't come to this...

***

And the second Lock battle has drawn to a close! Thoughts on it? Eni's power display? Theories? Predictions?

~Shino out!