Episode 27: Scary Silk

Almost as if on cue, Mama was right there when I got home

Almost as if on cue, Mama was right there when I got home. "I'm off to meet Mira's baby. You wanna come, Lany? Everyone else seems busy."'

"That wouldn't be weird?" My flames pooled in my cheeks. "I never really talked to her brother when we were in school..."

"I don't think so." Mama pushed my chin up. "Besides, even her new neighbors stopped by to see her baby. It'll be fine if you decide to come with me."

It felt like the room was shrinking again. This time I was almost sure the ceilings and floors would smoosh me into a human pancake. "Mama... Babies hate me, anyway."

"That wasn't always true." Mama ran her finger across my cheek. "Babies loved you when you were little."

Could that really be true? I didn't remember that...

"Babies can sense things we grownups can't. You shrank into yourself after you learned what happened to your brother and sister. That probably scared them. Someone like Lie probably sensed it right away."

I stifled a laugh. "With the nightmares I've had, she probably didn't need her powers to figure that out."

"You don't have to worry about that anymore. Who knows? Maybe things will be different now."

"Do they even know about what happened to Vanny? I'm not sure I could even talk about it."

"They know she disappeared. They don't know any specifics."

I sighed. "I dunno what I'd do if they asked about it. We can't just tell everyone, or everything will go to chaos. I can't let that happen."

Mama wrapped her arms around me. "Caution is important, but you can't let fear trap you, either. This task is too big for any one person. We'll all here to try and ensure a happy ending. It's important to remember that, too.

"I know..."

Mama kissed me before she left.

***

The day after that, we planned to go into Taradita again. This time, it was Duke and Eni's turn to go. Marshall and Recah didn't want to go, and T went last time. None of us were comfortable with idea bringing Lie yet, so we agreed she'd stay back.

I brought Duke and Eni into the garden.

"This is how we're getting into that place?" Duke asked.

Eni raised his eyebrows. "You can go to faraway places without a mirror?"

"It can be easier to use mirrors as a door, but you don't need one to travel into faraway places." The picture of an older Vanny jumped into my mind. "Oh, great Aeliana, the first Soulmate, I beseech thee. Grant my allies and I passage into Taradita. We come hoping for those above to smile down on us."