Episode 56: The Burning Fire-bird

I had woken up around 8:30 this morning

I had woken up around 8:30 this morning. Ali was still asleep. He must have been especially tired or had gotten to sleep even later than he usually did. I just hoped he wasn't going to crash or close to evolving again. Of course, I loved my little brother, but those things were just difficult to deal with.

When I went into the kitchen to make myself oatmeal, Recah was at the table with her typewriter. She seemed to love it since she went out of her way to use it most days. One of these days, I'd have to ask where she got it from.

I didn't think we had typewriters in the Engrada of old. I would have thought Mother or Leon would've gotten me one. I loved writing when I was a little girl. I would write up little stories then give it to Mother or Leon or one of my tutors, so they could fix my spelling mistakes. Then I would read my story to Phoenix before he went to bed.

I sighed. I didn't think I could ever repay my debt to Noelle...

Annie and Ali really did save me when Phoenix and I were trapped in limbo. Even though Phoenix didn't know how to read, which was to be expected of a four-year-old, and I had a feeling his speech delay wouldn't have helped the matter if he was older, he absolutely adored stories. Unless he was exhausted or feeling bad, he wouldn't go to sleep without one.

If I hadn't always been telling him one in there, I didn't know what it would have taken to get him talking. He always did his best to mimic me. I honestly believed that was what did it.

"I could go set up in my room if you want?" Recah offered.

"No, sweetie, you're fine." I shook my head. "Watching you write got me thinking about times long passed. I really shouldn't be dwelling on the past, anyway."

She moved a stray hair out of my face. "You're thinking about the time you spent in there with your baby brother?"

I nodded. "I can't stop myself when I think about what my childhood was like before that day came. Phoenix was so young that he probably doesn't remember what came before."

"It doesn't help to worry about that, though."

Of course, I knew that... It just wasn't easy.

"Is our prince still sleeping?"

"When I came out of our room, he was."

Recah got out the necessary instruments to brew a pot of tea. "I hope he isn't about to crash. It feels like he should be up by now."

"If it gets bad enough, his parents will make him take medicine." I finally got out the oatmeal. "They try to check on him for this specific reason, I imagine."

"Probably." Recah turned on the stove. "I can't believe I didn't ask this when you came in. You feel alright? The battle effects have worn off?"

I turned my head and rolled my eyes. "I needed to rest for a few more days, but I'm fine now."