Chapter 37 - Trying to Heal

Sierra's POV

I tried sitting up slowly, wincing at the pain in my abdomen before giving up and laying back down.

"Do you want to sit up?" Dominic walked inside and stood at the foot of the bed.

"I did, but maybe it's better to just sit still. So, I'm good. Thank you." I began fiddling with the blanket again.

I couldn't look at him. After everything my father did, after everything I was made to believe and nearly slitting Dominic's throat, I just couldn't meet his eye. I was ashamed. I was embarrassed and I didn't even deserve to be in this family's presence, nevermind having their son in love with me.

I felt the tears again. They started passing through and it was something I couldn't control. My heart ached. But it didn't ache for me, it ached for them. It ached for what I had done to them.

"Sierra -"

"Dominic, I am so sorry. I am unbelievably sorry for everything I have put your family through. For what my father did. You don't have to say anything, I promise I will leave the second I can." I cut him off and he respectfully let me ramble on.

"I don't want you to leave, Sierra." He sat down in the chair beside my bed and calmly spoke.

"What?" My brows moved into each other as I looked at him a little doubtful.

"You gave your life for mine, Sierra. I am indebted to you."

"No, you are not. My father and I are the reason Aria was shot. I am the reason she was in a coma. I was already ignoring his phone calls at the time. He killed my grandmother..." I went quiet in an attempt to push down the sob wanting to escape.

"He confessed that part to me after her death. Since then, I cut off communication with him and he didn't like it. He put a hit on Aria because of that. I considered going back but I couldn't leave..." I trailed off as our eyes met for a split second before I diverted my gaze.

"Niccolo." He finished my sentence for me as I closed my eyes, nodding slowly.

"Sierra, listen to me. You were misled most of your life. You believed a lie that consumed you. It was not your fault. You thought you were righting a wrong. You thought you were avenging your mother and bringing peace to the storm constantly brewing within you. I understand what that feels like. But you saw the truth and fixed it. You tried fixing it all. Sierra, stop destroying yourself over this."

I shook my head as the tears started falling again. This time the sobs intensified and it felt like my chest was closing up. The room around me seemed hazy, and I struggled to breathe. Not now...

Dominic stood up and took my hands. He pulled on them gently forcing me to look at him.

"Sierra, look at our hands." He spoke calmly.

I followed his instructions. He began running his thumbs over my knuckles and I tried concentrating on their movements. I felt my heart slowing down in pace. My breathing becoming rhythmic again, eventually taking a deep breath in the finalization of the panic attack. I looked up to see him as he gave me a small smile. That's when I noticed everyone in the room.

Niccolo stood behind his father, concern written all over his face and Rafael standing close to him, holding onto Odette's hand. I looked back at Dominic, releasing my hands from his.

"How did you -" I began.

"Aria. She used to get them often and she wasn't taking any medication for it." His smile was genuine and caring.