Chapter 40 - Never

Sierra's POV

After running from Cali I decided I should keep moving. It was a risk that I took to visit Lexi and it backfired. It brought Nico closer to me. I drove over the border and entered into Mexico. I spent a few nights in different places, a week here and there.

Currently, I'm settled in Punta Colonet, a little agricultural town in Baja California, Mexico. I'll move again soon, I am just getting tired with all the traveling. I need a little longer to recuperate, this time around. I plan on eventually reaching closer to Mexico City but it would have been too obvious and too soon if I did that immediately.

It's been 8 weeks now since I left that hospital. Two excruciating months without him and nothing has changed. Not a single thing or fragment of what I feel for him has changed. I spend my nights crying myself to sleep. I am so sick of crying. It's all I ever manage to do, lately. I've spent most of my days sleeping it away, waking up more exhausted.

I was so frustrated with it all and decided today I would venture out a little. I usually don't, afraid of someone recognizing me. But I needed this, even if it's for an hour. I settled on going to a small market in town with fresh produce, ravenous for a few strawberries.

I walked around for a bit, sunglasses on and a shawl wrapped around my head. The more I can cover and disguise, the better. I was, however, struggling in the heat. I kept to the shady sections of the market as I casually wandered around.

After some time, I found the strawberries I was in search of. I sat down at one of the benches and ate some with a bottle of ice-cold water. I took my shawl down for a bit of fresh air but kept my sunglasses on. I simply sat and watched the people around me. The happy families, the innocent children playing with their siblings or parents, the newly found couples and the ones expecting a child. All the happiness that surrounded me made it all sink in harder, penetrate deeper and seep in longer. This hurts like hell.

I shot up, needing to get back to my place. I could feel the waterworks beginning again and I just needed the comfort of my loneliness right now. I bought a few more cartons of strawberries before leaving, walking a different route than the one I came.

However, I got an uneasy feeling. I slowly looked over my shoulder to notice a tall figure following closely behind me, the hood from his jacket covering his face with his hands in his pockets. I took a few sharp turns, observing as he tried to steer me off my suspicions by stopping or taking a different turn but soon after landed up being behind me again.

I picked up my pace, briskly walking into the oncoming traffic and weaving my way through the hooting cars. I made it to the other side of the road and turned around in search of him, but noticed nobody was there. Maybe I lost him. I kept my brisk pace as I traveled the busy roads full of crowds.

I was nearly back to my current space when I bumped into someone.

"Mis disculpas, señor (my apologies, sir)," I spoke with my head down.

I tried walking around him but he stepped to the side, blocking my way. I began lifting my head to meet his eye, however, I paused and froze when I noticed his hand hanging by his side. That tattoo...

I panicked. I didn't even bother looking at his face, I was almost certain I knew who it was. I abruptly turned on my heel and sprinted away from him. He began chasing me as I tried weaving around all the civilians surrounding us.

I had my gun, I could easily shoot him but not with all these people. I dodged down a quiet alleyway as a last-second decision. I hid behind a few wooden boxes, taking my gun out from the back of my jeans and holding it in preparation. I peeked around the side, noticing him stop and look around.