- t w e l v e -

┈ ┈ ┈ ⋞ 〈 ⏣ 〉 ⋟ ┈ ┈ ┈

THE DAY OF HOGSMEADE CAME QUICKLY AND REINA WAS NOT PARTICULARLY excited. While everyone was out with friends and dates, anyone that they actually liked really, she was stuck with James.

After changing out of her sleepwear, she sat In front of her mirror. It was of simple design and something she cherished dearly. It wasn't that fact that she was obsessed with vanity, because she wasn't, it was the fact that it played an important role in keeping her grounded.

Sitting in front of it on the table, was one of the only photos of her mum. Reina would often look in the mirror and analyse her features, picking out the ones she inherited from her mother.

Some may say she had an unhealthy obsession with her mum, or the thought of her mum, but what else would 15 year old mother-less witch do?

She wanted to feel close to her in every way possible.

Brushing her messy hair, she thought deeply as she untangled each knot. Was this all worth it? When she first agreed to help James, she found it as a way to get some sort of retribution, a form of poetic justice. However, as she now thought more on it, she realised how reckless her decision was.

Reina, being tired of doubting herself and her choices, quickly fixed her hair into a presentable state before leaving the room.

There was no going back now.

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

SHE HAD MET WITH JAMES BY THE PATH TO HOGSMEADE. The quaint, little village had always held a place in the girl's heart.

Wether it being the inviting and warm Three Broomsticks or Honeyduke's delicious and delectable delights, she could not get enough of it.

Walking side by side down the trail, the journey was in complete silence until they neared the entrance of the village. As Reina was walking slightly behind James, when he stopped abruptly, she almost tumbled over.

Shooting him a glare as he looked over his shoulder at her, she regained her balance. "What did you stop for?" She asked, aggravated. He did not reply, but instead offered his hand out for hers.

She eyed it suspiciously and waited for him to take it back, which he did not. "Take it" he stayed, finally commenting on her confusion. She raised an eyebrow at him before he elaborated, "There's going to be hundreds of students there, we need to look convincing, remember" James reminded her.

Finally noticing that he actually had a point, she took his hand and they began to walk again.

Strolling through the streets, the pair earned many stares. James basked in the attention while Reina shrank away ever so slightly. It occurred all the way through the day. It happened in Honeydukes, in Zonko's and even in Dervish and Banges. She wasn't used to the attention, nor did she like it. It wasn't a nice feeling to have everyone's eyes on you. Still, she kept her head high, successfully hiding her uneasiness.

She thought she was successful at least.

James seemed to have noticed that something was off with the girl beside him. As they ambled their way through the small village, he felt fingers intertwine with his own. He had looked down at Reina, expecting her to be looking at him smugly, but instead he saw that she was looking out in distance. He may not have known a lot about her, but he knew she was not the type to daydream.

However, he just brushed it off. Maybe she was having an off day? As the day went on, the two of them ignored each other's presence and did their own thing. Only when they had sat down together in the Three Broomstick's, did they actually speak to each other.

As they sat at booth in the furthest corner of the shop, Butter beer's in hand, the pair could still feel eyes on them. While this did not bother James, being used to the stares, it very clearly did, affect Reina.

Her leg bounced rapidly in an act of nervousness, causing the table to slightly shake. It shook to the point where their glasses had started to rattle, causing James to put his hand on her knee to stop her.

It did, but earned him a death glare in return. She looked down at the table before he spoke, "Hey, would you calm down? What's got you so worked up anyways?" He asked, confused.

She met his gaze before replying, "I'm not used to this. The stares, the silent judging, it just puts me on edge"

He processed her answer for a moment, silently arguing with himself in his head. Nodding his head at her and himself, he smiled at her.

"Just talk to me," he started, "Ignore them" he whispered quietly to her. Reina nodded her head slightly and smiled back it him.

"Thanks" she thanked him genuinely, making him smile even more. He liked this side of her. No more sarcastic comebacks or her 'I'm-better-than-you" attitude, just Reina.

And as they talked more, Reina found herself liking this side of James. No more egotistical or witty words, just and unusually nice James Potter. The boy she sneered at when he failed and scoffed at when he got something right before she did.

But then she remembered.

He was still James Potter. The boy who made her first days of Hogwarts, hell. The boy who destroyed a little bit of her mother's memory and has no regard for anyone other than himself. People don't change that quickly, she thought.

But maybe she didn't know him that well in the first place, after all, there is so much more than what meets the eye.

And his hand never did move from her knee.