- t h i r t e e n -

┈ ┈ ┈ ⋞ 〈 ⏣ 〉 ⋟ ┈ ┈ ┈

"YOU DID WHAT?" REINA ASKED ROSE IN DISBELIEF. It had been a long week for the girl, and she found herself growing closer to Potter, no matter how much she would deny it.

Her friend guiltily smiled, before repeating her previous statement.

"I slipped you some Felix Felicis on the day of the showcase," she said in small voice, "but it was only to get you up on the stage, I swear!" she exclaimed in a louder voice, trying to justify herself.

Reina didn't know wether she should be thankful or disappointed. The confession had come about completely randomly, as the pair sat together in the snow-covered courtyard, utterly taking her by surprise.

The whole time, she had thought that she had gotten the will to go and preform from herself, when in fact the confidence she felt came from an unnatural source.

She felt defeated. Like someone had taken a little bit of water out of her glass of confidence.

Not wanting to hear anymore, Reina prodded off with Rose shouting after her, desperate for forgiveness. She didn't mean to hurt her, honestly. She did it purely because she cared. Rose knew that she would have never gone up there on her own accord and no matter of persuasion would've changed her mind, so she went to more drastic measures.

"You wouldn't have done it for yourself, so I did it for you! In fact, YOU SHOULD BE THANKING ME!" She called after her upset friend.

That sadness soon turned to anger.

"Thank you?" She chuckled dryly, whipping her head around, "Oh thank you so much Rose! For lying and giving me a false sense of hope!"

"YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT LYING, HUH?" Rose shouted, startling Reina. "What about you and James?" she asked in a dark tone with a smirk on her face.

"What about us Rose?" She asked exasperated. She was tired of arguing with everyone, with every conversation being about James. She just wanted it to stop.

"Oh come on Reina, we all know it's fake" Rose took a couple of steps closer to her, "I've always know that James is quite the liar, but from you? Little miss Perfect? Wow" she chuckled falsely, " just give it up already"

Reina stood there in shock. There's no way she could possibly know, she was just trying to get a reaction out of her.

"There's nothing to give up, we're not lying" Rose scoffed and looked down at the floor. "And do you know what?" Reina stated rhetorically, and Rose looked up at her.

"I'm so sick of this," she said gesturing between the two of them, "I'm sick of you judging me, I'm sick of you making choices for me" Rose went to say something, but Reina put her hand up, shutting her up.

"I'm sick of you judging James!" She exclaimed loudly, "It's always 'I'm-better-then-you', you don't even treat him like a cousin!"

"If I remember rightly, you treated him the exact same about a month ago," Rose said as her face turned red with anger. "And I've never judged him!" She protested.

Reina chuckled bitterly, "Oh have a laugh Rose, I've seen the looks of disgust you send his way. You're not exactly discreet!"

"You know I'm right Rose. You're jealous of him and you just can't handle it" she finished with smile. Rose's face grew even darker as her hand made contact with Reina's face, whipping her head to the right.

"You're a foul bitch Reina," she started with a dry chuckle, "No wonder your mother left you" she snarled.

The words had slipped from her mouth before she could stop them. Rose had immediately went to apologise, but she knew it was too late.

Reina held her cheek and chuckled dryly, "You've just crossed the line Granger"

She lunged at her, not even bothering to pull out her wand. Rose had called her a dog, might as well act like an animal.

Reina straddled her, ready to attack, before a pair of arms held her back. "LET ME GO!" She screamed, not even knowing who had decided to pull her away.

She kicked and yelled, but the person did not move. "Calm down" the voice growled in her ear. Reina had no more energy, and recognising the voice, she broke down into tears.

As the salty water flowed from her eyes, the calming voice of James lulled her. "It's alright love," he whispered soothingly as he stroked her hair.

He had only heard part of their argument, but he knew what Rose had said was totally out of order.

James felt like a right douchebag for not stepping in earlier, he could've stopped all of this. He felt completely and utterly guilty.

It was all his fault after all. He had been the one to convince Rose to slip Reina that potion. He had been the cause of their argument. But he'd never admit it. Reina had finally started to warm up to him, and he was enjoying their time together.

He liked her sarcastic comments and the way she'd sometimes leave him speechless. And he wouldn't give that up for Rose or his integrity.

Rose would just have to take the fall for now.