- t w e n t y -

┈ ┈ ┈ ⋞ 〈 ⏣ 〉 ⋟ ┈ ┈ ┈

"AS SAID BY STEPHEN COVEY, 'THE WAY WE SEE A PROBLEM, IS THE PROBLEM'. TAKE THAT ADVICE JAMES, it might do you good"

The pair sat in the Room of Requirements, with Reina attempting to comfort the boy. It was the day before she and James were meant to leave for the Potter household. Nerves boiled deep within the pair, but James's feelings seemed to take the cake. He couldn't even think about the idea without a nervous laugh or an urge to cry.

"I wish you'd stop talking to me that way," he snapped at the girl.

"In what way?"

"Talking smart. It makes me feel so dumb" he groaned, rubbing his eyes furiously. Reina gave a little laugh and shook her head.

"You're the one who wanted me to, and I quote, 'teach you my nerdy ways'" she replied smugly and he rolled his eyes.

"I don't get it" James moaned, his brain hurting from all this 'smart talk'. Reina laughed lightly and turned to look at him.

"What it means James, is that having a limited perspective on a matter, leads to much deeper rooted problems," she explained and he looked at her blankly. Rolling her eyes, she continued on, "You're only looking at the negatives here James. Stop pondering on the 'what if's' and look to the positives that may come."

James looked her in the eyes, absorbing every piece of information, gripping onto every word. She was right, she always was.

"Get it?" She asked hopefully, not knowing how to explain it any better. James nodded his head slightly, indicating that he had finally got it.

"What would I do without you?" He asked with a slight laugh, looking up at her with bright eyes. She smirked in return.

"Probably would've failed charms, would've still had Rose up your ars-" she began listing things off of her fingers, but immediately stopped herself.

She had forgotten all about Rose.

Her face dropped at the thought of the girl. Of course Rose would be there, it was her family after all. Neither of the girls had made an effort to apologise yet, and the situation was so undeniably petty.

"Hey Einstein, what's got you down in the dumps?" He asked with a teasing smirk, taking her out of her thoughts.

"Nothing" she dismissed him quickly, earning an eye roll from the boy.

"You can't lie to me Reina, I'll always catch you out"

She scoffed and changed the topic. "So are you excited to see your parents again?" She asked, semi-cheerfully.

"Don't try and change the subject Carter"

"I would never!" she said with a feigned expression of hurt. Flicking her on the forehead, James turned his attention to the fire.

"Like I said, don't try and lie to me. And to answer your question, apart from the intense desire to pull out my hair, I'm actually pretty happy to see them again," he admitted, staring longingly into the embers.

"Good," she said, lightly patting his shoulder, "I'm going to go and pack"

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

REINA STUMBLED AROUND HER BEDROOM, HER ARMS FILLED WITH A MOUNTAIN OF CLOTHES THAT BLOCKED HER sight of the room.

She had never been the type to be a last-minute packer, but here she was, packing for a trip that she left for in less than 14 hours.

With her mind in state and her eyes blocked, she couldn't make out the structure of her bed standing before her. Walking forward, she stubbed her toe against the edge of it.

"HOLY MOTHER OF JESUS ON A BIKE! WHO THE FUCK, PUT A BED THERE!" She screamed, holding her foot for dear life while her previously piled clothes laid sprawled against the oak floor.

"I'M GOING TO SUE! YOU FUCKING HEAR THAT? THAT'S A FREAKING LAWSUI-"

Her rant was cut off by a cough. Not even bothering to drop her foot, she hopped around to face the source of the noise. When she saw who it was, she released her foot immediately and let out an unsteady breath.

"Hello Reina" said a rather amused Rose.

Shifting her weight awkwardly, Reina gave a small wave in return, causing Rose to sigh.

"Look Reina I'm so sorry," Rose begun, taking in a deep breath. "I was so out of line and I don't know how I can even begin to apologise and I-"

The girl was cut off by a pair of arms wrapping around her. It was fairly shocking, seeing as it was rare for Reina to even show an ounce of affection. And here she was, hugging Rose like her life depended on it.

"It's ok Rose. I said some pretty bad stuff as well" Reina admitted, Rose laughing with her. "I'm just glad to have you back. I think I've begun to go brain dead after all that time spent with your cousin"

Rose laughed loudly along with Reina, both of the girls missing each other a lot.

"Now come help me pack, I'm spending the holidays with James"

Reina flinched as Rose squealed loudly. Normally, if she had ever made that noise, she'd slap herself for acting like an immature little girl. But this time,

She just couldn't help it.

Reina had always been a recluse, refusing any and every boy that wasn't Charles. Rose had many times caught her friend staring longingly at the Hufflepuff asshole, as though he had been the one to put the stars in the sky.

She couldn't explain how nice it was to see Reina moving on. However, she just couldn't help but feel guilty.

Every time she saw the pair together, Rose ran over the deal she made with James over in her head. She only said that the relationship need to last a year.

Rose was sure that if it had been any other girl, James would dump the poor soul as soon as the day came. She'd even bet her life on it. However, she had seen the way that her cousin acted around her friend.

The way he would sneak glances and stare at her, as though she was the only thing in the world, his world.

The way he would gently kiss her forehead, not his usual snogging sessions she had walked in on, oh so many times.

The way he would hold her hand, even if it was only a 2 minute journey.

The way he smiled at her, as though she was the only thing he would ever need in life.

Rose just hoped that he didn't break her heart. Rose wished that they wouldn't break each other's hearts.