-f o u r t e e n -

┈ ┈ ┈ ⋞ 〈 ⏣ 〉 ⋟ ┈ ┈ ┈

SHE SAT IN FRONT OF HER PIANO, ON THE PIANO STOOL, A SOLEMN EXPRESSION taking over her pretty face. The moonlight shone brightly onto her through the vast window, illuminating her features and the instrument before her.

Reina would normally play when she felt strong emotions, but she couldn't find the energy to. She had never argued with Rose before, not once, in their three years of friendship. Her head hurt for many reasons and she couldn't come up with one solution for any of them. She sighed heavily and rested her head against the propped up fallboard.

"Hey, are you alright?" A soft voice said from behind her. She lifted her head and turned to the figure. In the doorway, lent against the doorframe, was James, with a guilty yet worried expression on his face. Reina weakly nodded and falsely smiled as a reply, not satisfying him.

When she turned her attention back to the piano and the window, he sighed quietly. Of course she isn't alright you idiot, he thought, her friendship is breaking down.

He took a few steps into the room and towards Reina, standing just behind her. "Do you wanna talk about it?" James asked a little awkwardly.

Reina, whose attention had shifted to the moon instead of James, was taken out of her trance by the question. "Talk about what?" She asked with a sigh, not taking her eyes off of the window.

"You know what I'm talking about Reina" he said grimly, "I heard quite a bit, you know"

She did not reply, indicating that she did not want to talk about it. So he decided to lighten the mood. "Thanks for defending me," he declared with a chuckle.

Reina looked at him with a small smile before returning her attention back to outside. "Just because I defended you, does not mean we're friends," she said jokely.

He smiled at her, not that she could see. He had actually managed to cheer her up and make her smile.

"No, we're boyfriend and girlfriend," he said sarcastically. Reina threw her head back with laughter and James took in the sight of her.

Her eyes sparkled in the moonlight and with joy, a magnificent oceanic colour. Her skin at the corner of her eyes, crinkled in the most adorable way as she laughed, and her nose scrunched up, and not in disgust for once.

She looked gorgeous to him, utterly ethereal in the moonlight. He just wished she would laugh more often.

As her laughter died down, she shuffled around in her seat, coming face to face with James. "Thanks for making me laugh," she said genuinely. To him, at this moment, she looked so kissable, but he knew it was not the time.

He was never one for self-control, but he'd have to change that for now.

James looked as she traced her fingers over the keys, eager to play. Although, the look on her face told him otherwise, as though something was holding her back. He knew he shouldn't ask, but curiousity got the better of him.

"What's stopping you?" He asked and she looked up at him, confused. "From playing" he elaborated. She stared at him and sighed, looking back at the instrument.

"Me playing in front of someone, is the most intimate anyone would see me," she stated, intriguing him.

"What do you mean?" He asked, "You played in front of the whole of Hogwarts"

He knew he had said something wrong when her face hardened. "I have Rose to thank for that I guess," she said with a dry chuckle.

He looked at the, not knowing what to say. "Um, I can leave if you want?" He offered and she shook her head.

"It's ok," she laughed "You can stay" his saddened face turned to one happiness at the girl. "As long as you don't judge me"

His mouth quirked up into a smile, "I would never"

Smiling at him lightly, she turned her attention back to the piano. Trailing her fingers along the keys for a finally time, she pressed the first note, taking James a little bit by surprise.

As she got deeper into the piece, James unconsciously smiled. You could see the enthusiasm on the girls face, her pure love for music shining brighter than the Waxing Gibbous in the night sky.

The tune of Beethoven's moonlight Sonata flowed freely from her fingers. It was almost like a second language to her, one she was completely fluent in and she adored it. The first movement had always been her favourite, something so dark yet beautiful at the same time. It screamed pure melancholy yet radiated such beauty.

A true masterpiece.

As she hit the last note, James's gaze was still stuck on her. She awkwardly smiled and he slowly clapped. His actions made her cheeks heat up and for once in a very long time, she blushed.

"What was that?" He asked in a trance like voice.

She chuckled breathily at him, a smug smile on her face. "The great James Potter, does not know of Beethoven's famous moonlight Sonata?" She teased playfully.

"You've got to teach me one day," he said with a chuckle and her eyebrows raised. He actually wanted to learn?

"Why not now?" She asked with a teasing smile. His eyes widened in shock as she pulled him down on the stall beside her.

"Are you familiar with Clair de lune?" She whispered in his ear with a perfect French accent. He shook his head with a chuckle and she bit her lip to suppress a smile. 

Taking his hand in hers, she guided his hand to notes slowly, ignoring the tingles she felt. "So you start here..."

They continued on throughout the night, until they saw the faint orange glow of sunrise. She had managed to teach him a little, but he wasn't concentrating, not really. He was too busy admiring her. Not that she had noticed.

She was too beautiful for this world, and he didn't deserve her.

It was saddening to him, he knew that she did not belong to him, the way he was starting to belong to her.
And by the time it was 5 O'Clock, Reina laid asleep in his arms, with her body on his lap and her head in the crook of his neck.

He felt at home, and he wouldn't have it any other way.