Prologue 3: 3rd POV

"Wangji?" Xichen asked. He shook him at his shoulders. "Wangji, wake up.... open your eyes..." Xichen began to cry. "No. Wangji. You have to wake up. WANGJI!!"

But Lan Wangji didn't move nor breathe. But this time Xichen saw the tears on Wangji's face. A face that wasn't smiling anymore.

A disciple who heard his Sect Leader screaming ran to Jingshi. He knew right away that something was wrong and run to bring Lan Qiren and the doctor.

When they came 5 minutes later they saw Xichen shaking Wangji and yelling at him to wake up. Lan Qiren dragged him away from the bed to let the doctor examine his not-moving youngest nephew.

The doctor turned around and bowed. "Master Qiren, Sect Leader ... Hanguang-Jun ... he is ... he ..."

"HE WHAT? WHAT IS WITH MY NEPHEW??" Lan Qiren yelled at the doctor.

"Hanguang-Jun left this world. He died at... at broken heart..." The doctor explained and bowed again.

"He ...what?" Xichen asked. His jade white face went paler.

"It seems the death of the Yiling Patriarch was too much for him..."

"That can't be possible!! That Yiling Patriarch died three years ago. If what you said would be true then my nephew would have died back then!! Don't talk nonsense and tell us what exactly happened!" Lan Qiren screamed.

"It's true Master Qiren. It seems like Hanguang-Jun hoped back then till now that the Yiling Patriarch would come back. But he somehow realized now that this will never happen and that broke his heart. I am sorry." The doctor bowed again and left.

Lan Qiren looked at the dead body of his nephew. "Wangji" he sighed. Then he looked at the picture of his late brother which hang on the wall. "I am sorry brother ... I couldn't protect your son." he apologized to him and left too. He had to prepare for the funeral.

Xichen didn't say a word. The words of the doctor are still in his head 'It seems like Hanguang-Jun hoped back then till now that the Yiling Patriarch would come back. But he somehow realized now that this will never happen and that broke his heart.'

He realized his precious little brother lost the last hope he had because of Xichen. He told him that except few bones and Chenqing nothing was found. He robbed his brother of the last bit of hope.

"Wangji. I am sorry. I... didn't mean to do that. I am sorry." Xichen went even paler and apologized while crying. Then he looked at his precious little brother and gently stroke his pale face. 

"You are so sure that young master Wei is innocent. I ... will investigate again. For you. For him. For me." Xichen cried and cried while kneeling.

A few days later the funeral was held. Invited were no one except the people who stayed at Cloud Recesses and of course Lady MianMian and little Ayuan. After the funeral, Xichen went to his Uncle and asked him to let him adopt Ayuan. Lan Qiren didn't know why his nephew wanted to adopt a foreign kid. He didn't know who he was. But in the end, he thought it would be best to allow it. At least Xichen would have someone to care for as he cared for his brother. So Xichen adopted Ayuan and asked MianMian to look after him here in Cloud Recesses for a few months more. Then he left Cloud Recesses to investigate.

Six months later with the help of Nie Huisang, who lost his brother too, he found out the truth. Sect Leader Jin Guangyao, his most trusted friend and sworn brother, was behind everything together with XueYang and SuShe. They also found out that they killed Huisang's older brother and dismembered him. Xichen and Huisang both handled everything quietly. Xichen took care of SuShe while Huisang killed both, Jin Guanyao and XueYang brutally. Both of them never told anyone the truth. Not even Lan Qiren or Jiang Cheng. It was better like that. 

Xichen went to his brother's grave and told him everything.

"Wangji. I am so sorry for not trusting young master Wei and helping you protect him. You knew him the best. I am so sorry," he apologized.

"If possible, I want us to be brothers in our next life too. I promise here and now that I will protect you. I will trust and help you so you never have to endure so much pain as in this life." Xichen took Suibian and Chenqing, which he both got back from Nie Huisang who broke into the Jin Sect and Jiang Sect, and buried them together with Bichen and Wangji next to the grave. Then he cried.

After a while, Xichen stood up and with one last look at the grave, he left to let his precious little brother rest in peace.

End of Prologue.