Chapter Sixteen

EMMA

"Do anything fun yesterday?" Naomi asks me when she pulls out of the parking lot of my apartment building.

I refuse to look over at her, my face warm, and I'm sure very red, at just the thought of the copious amount of sex I had with one of her best friends.

"Oh, nothing really... Just cleaned my house up a bit and watched terrible reality tv." I answer her.

"Which shows? I'm a big fan of trashy tv." She tells me with a bright smile.

The rest of the way to the restaurant, Naomi and I go back and forth about the best reality stars and how much we love Love Island. It was easy talking with her, and nice knowing she understood what it was going to be like for me to be out with her and her friends. Even though I had gotten past the initial meeting, this was the one where they would actually decide if they wanted to be friends. I was already well prepared not to get another invite to one of these things.

I was nervous when Naomi text me last night asking for my address and insisting on picking me up. Harry had seen me panic a little, but he didn't get it. I knew that Harry and his friends lived a different life than me. He had a nice house, well paying job, probably never had to worry about paying his bills.

On the other hand, I lived in a not-so-nice part of the city, in run down apartments that looked like they had black mold and cockroaches. I had been pleasantly surprised when none of those things became an issue, but I didn't really like having people over. It was only ever Millie - and she lived a few apartments down. Jake had always refused to come over, because he wasn't comfortable there.

I could afford a better place, but I desperately wanted to buy a house by the time I was thirty-five, which meant I had to save money, and this was the best bet. I was able to pay rent and all my bills, put some money in savings and have a tiny bit left for personal use. It wasn't all that bad. Even though it was a sketchy area, no one ever really bugged me, and I had mace for that if I needed.

Naomi hadn't said a damn thing about my place though. She even came to my door instead of texting me from the safety of her car. I was grateful for that, but I couldn't help but feel a little embarrassed.

Walking into the restaurant, my heart was racing. I was psyching myself out I knew that, but this had been the first time I had been out with people in a while - not counting Friday night. These girls were a close knit group, and there was surely no way I could crack it. I couldn't crack it if I wanted. I shouldn't have even said yes to hanging out with them, considering they are Harry's people not mine. But then again, I needed companionship and I was tired of letting my anxiety get in the way of that. Although this wasn't the smartest way to go about it - making friends with your fuck buddies friends knowing we were bound to end - part of my nerves today was excitement.

I realized this as we walk further into the restaurant, the familiar but unfamiliar butterflies going crazy inside me. I had never felt excitement while meeting new people; it had only ever been anxiety.

This was probably due to already having had full conversations with them, but it was still a shock.

Luanne and Maura were already at the table, sipping on mimosas, and chatting animatedly.

"Hey, guys!" Naomi cheered as we walk up to them.

Bright smiles lit up as they saw us, standing up to give out hugs. I was taken aback, but gladly accepted them. As we sat down, Maura filled the two of us in on the story of her and this guy she works with. I listen to her, smiling at her being so enthusiastic. She put all of her energy into entertaining us with this one story. I laughed at her dumbfounded reaction when she told us something he had said when I noticed how closely Luanne was watching me. I didn't feel any judgement, but it did make me nervous.