Chapter Twenty-Four

EMMA

Right as I was walking out of my classroom to meet Niall, Jake walked in and closed the door behind him.

"Jake, I don't have time for this. I've got places to be." I tell him impatiently.

"Did you block me?" He asks.

I roll my eyes, "Yes, I did. Are we done here?"

"Don't give me attitude, Emma." He threatens me.

I raise my eyebrows at him, "Then don't make me, Jake. I don't understand how you just can't get that I am done with you. Of course I blocked you. You've been harassing me for months."

"I haven't been harassing you-"

He was interrupted by a knock at the door. It opened a second later, revealing Niall. He looked between us cautiously, but walked in anyways.

"Hey, love, just wondering where you were. We're supposed to meet everyone in a bit." He says, staring down Jake the entire time.

I could see Jake clench his jaw, about to say something, but I stopped him. "Jake, just leave. I don't want you here. I don't want to talk to you anymore. We've been over for months, thanks to you, so maybe you should start acting like it."

He scoffs, "Like I want you. I'm in a happy relationship-"

"Then why are you here?" I ask.

"Because you blocked me for no reason!" He hissed out at me, taking a step closer.

Niall takes a step in as well, a hand on my lower back to know he's right there. I roll my eyes at me ex, "You know exactly why I blocked you. You're just pissed because I'm not letting you control my life anymore!"

He's absolutely fuming now, eyes dark as they've ever been. He doesn't get to take a step closer, though, because Niall's there, hand flat on Jake's chest. With just a simple push back, Jake blinks as if he just realized Niall was in the room with us. Before he even got the chance to storm out, Niall took hold of my elbow and led us out. Not until we got to the parking lot did he let go of me.

"Niall, please don't mention that to anyone." I ask him.

He gives me a look, "You know, love, this is the second time you've asked me that."

I sigh, "I know. I just don't want them fretting over me."

"It's okay to open up to people, Emma."

I turn to look at him, "I know, and I promise you I am talking to someone. He's helped me a lot, and he's the reasoned why I blocked Jake in the first place."

"He? Are you talking about Harry?"

My eyes widen and I feel my face warm, "Uh, wait-what?"

Niall smiles widely at my reaction, "Ah, so there is something going on between you two."

"No, there isn't." I say quickly.

"Then why are you so red right now?" He asks me smugly. I stare at him speechless, heart racing, wondering how he knew.

I finally gave in, "How did you know?"

A triumphant look crosses his face, "Well, it wasn't that hard. You two are a bit obvious with the heated glances you share, and the look on Harry's face when he saw me walking in with you last Friday. Thought he might bite my head off."

"Oh." Is all I could say.

"So, how long have you two been together? Or is this one of those things where you're not together, but you desperately want to like Luanne and Oliver?" He carries on, prodding me into his car. "Figured Harry will offer a ride home. Maura says we're going bar hopping tonight, or something."