Chapter Fifty-Seven

HARRY

"Okay, so we've got two different options on how to proceed." DI Spencer tells us in his office.

We had been sitting here for another hour waiting for him to come in. Emma and I had been silent the whole time, both of us replaying everything that had happened today. I kept her hand in my lap, playing with her fingers absentmindedly, the rose ring I bought for her on her right hand ring finger.

The fight we had in the car felt therapeutic. I think both of us needed it, honestly, with so many emotions running through us. All I could picture was her jumping in front of me, and seeing Jake's face. The way his eyes took her in hungrily and obsessively. He wasn't allowed to look at her that way.

She squeezes my hand, getting me to pay attention to the detective, "We've got clear CCTV footage of what went down in the parking lot. We can charge him with assault, and he can get some jail time for a few months, or there's another option."

Emma fidgets in her seat, and asks, "What's that?"

"Assault's not enough, in my opinion. I can book him for a night in prison for being in a physical altercation, keeping him away from you two for the weekend so he doesn't retaliate. Then we start gathering our case. We'll have assault, breaking and entering, destruction of property, and stalking-"

"Wait, I thought we weren't anywhere with the case, though." I interrupt, "You said we were at a dead end practically."

Spencer nods his head, "We were, but part of his alibi is him and his friend went back to his friend's apartment after they had lunch. We've got clear CCTV footage of the front of the apartment building and it shows only his friend entering in the afternoon, and never leaving again for the night."

"And the texts?" Emma asks.

"Yes, I had some... words with my boss, and he sped up the process getting your case next in the docket. He'll be recovering the texts from your copied hard drive tomorrow, which will give us enough evidence for a restraining order." Spencer tells us.

"Really?" Emma asks, perking up.

"Yes," he smiles for the first time since we met him, "he'll be placed on temporary leave at work during the remaining of the investigation. I've already ordered a tail on him the moment he gets out of custody tomorrow-"

"You've already arrested him?" I interrupt.

"Yes, that's why it took me a few minutes to get in here. He's staying overnight, so you will be safe." He continues, "Like I said, he'll have a tail on him, so an officer will always be around in case he breaches the restraining order. If this all goes according to plan, when we bring him in for interrogation we're hoping that all the evidence we have will be enough for him to confess to harassment, so you don't have to go through a lengthy trial."

There's a moment of silence, both of us taking in the news before Emma hesitantly asks, "So, if he does get convicted..."

"Well, stalking itself is a max of ten years, add in assault and the rest of the charges, maybe if we're lucky possession of illegal substances from the statement you gave us today about his behavior... We could be looking at twenty years."

Emma and I look at each other, both a little shocked at the new information. If Jake was locked away for twenty years that could mean everything. Hell, we could have grown ass children by the time he gets out. I think of a drama free life with Emma. Not worrying about if she'll pick up my phone call when we're apart, or if she's safe at the house alone. Our whole life could be simple and filled with love and stupid fights about me leaving the lights on all day while we're at work instead of screaming matches in the car about sacrificing our safety for each other.