Chapter Fifty-Eight

TRIGGER WARNING - SEXUAL ASSAULT & RAPE MENTIONS

EMMA

I was finishing up my makeup when Harry walked in with my morning coffee. He looked delicious himself, sweats hung low, showing off the tattoos lining his hip bones. The best part was I knew he wasn't wearing anything underneath them.

The last few days have been quiet, a sort of eery calmness settling around us. DI Spencer kept us updated on the investigation, my restraining order going through once their tech guy brought back all the texts. It was sufficient evidence of harassment, but we wanted more. The wait was killing us, and we had been antsy since coming back Monday.

Harry and I had both taken the day off, and I could tell Harry was stressed not just with the case, but with work. It had piled up on him again, and I was doing my best to keep him calm. Last night, Thursday, had been the first night he could put his laptop away before eight. I always made him pause for dinner, so he could eat with me, but this time he came down from his office in the middle of me warming up leftovers.

He was so cute when he was exhausted, softer than usual - and that was saying something.  I let him eat in peace and when he was done I straddled him on the couch and made love to him. It was slow and sensual, I love you's and sweet words spoken. It was probably the first time all week where it felt normal.

"You going to be staying late at work tonight?" I ask him, stepping aside to let him get his deodorant off the counter.

"Don't think so. I'm pretty sure I'm all caught up, so it should be an easy day if everything goes according to plan." He tells me, placing a kiss on my cheek. "I'm going to try and get off an hour earlier today, so that way you aren't home alone for too long."

I give him a look, "Don't worry if you can't, babe. Niall's been following me home and checking the place out before I come in, and we've got the alarm system now. I don't want you stressing yourself out, if you don't need to."

He sighs, "I know, Em. I'm just getting nervous, because everything's been so quiet, you know?"

"I know," I say quietly, wrapping my arms around his neck, "but we're talking with Spencer tomorrow, and soon this will all be over."

"Can't come soon enough." He mumbles against my lips, pecking them a few times, "I love you."

I hum, still in a state of shock that this perfect man could feel that way about me, "And I love you."

He kisses me once more, and takes a sip of his coffee before announcing, "I've got to take a wee, so it's your choice if you want to stay-"

"Okay, I'm out."  I take my coffee as he laughs, closing the door when I leave. I put on an easy outfit, and go to unplug my phone from the charger.

I pause when I see the messages.

A few from an unknown number. This was different than any other messages I had received. Those had always been about me, but these were about hurting Harry as well.

Immediately, I call in for a sub, knowing I would be at the station all day again, and when Harry walked out of the bathroom he noticed my change in mood right away.

"What's wrong?"

I look up at him, my hand resting on his chest soothingly, "It's not so quiet anymore."

I show him my phone, watching him read the messages. I hate that I've put him in this vulnerable position. I hate that he's the target of Jake's rage instead of me. Harry clenches his jaw, and I know he just got to the last text. He closed his eyes and breathed in, shaking it off and gritting out, "Idiot's really making a case for himself, isn't he?"