Chapter Forty-Seven

EMMA

I had been sitting in this damn waiting room for hours. The effects of my panic attack were still rolling through me, my body utterly and completely exhausted, mind begging for sleep. But I stayed right where I was, knees held to my chest, chin resting on them as I stared blankly at the chair opposite me.

Millie's OBGYN had told me they were running some tests to see if Millie had gone into false labor or there was something else going on. Finally, she came and explained to me that Millie had a UTI that had caused a placenta abruption.

"I don't know what that is." I tell her, rubbing at my eyes to keep me awake.

"Well, in a pregnancy a urinary track infection can be much more painful, and, in this case, caused her placenta to detach prematurely." She says.

"So what does this mean for Millie and the baby?" I ask nervously.

"Right now we're unsure. We need to figure to if this is mild or severe-"

"What if it is severe?"

"Then we induce labor. We might have to perform an emergency c-section."

"But she's only thirty-seven weeks pregnant. She still has a almost a whole month-"

"Ma'am," she says calmly, shutting me up immediately, "that's just the worst case scenario. Most likely it's mild and I can supply her with medication so the baby can strengthen its lungs quicker than normal. Even if we have to induce labor, then there's a great chance that the baby will be born perfectly healthy, a little small maybe, but I've seen a lot worse."

I bite my lip, "So she'll be okay?"

The doctor gives me a kind smile, "Let's wait to get those results back, and then we'll talk about our plan of attack, okay?" I nod, not liking her refusal to answer my question, but not pressing any more. "Would you like to see her?"

My eyes widen, "I can go in?"

"Oh, yes, she needs her support system. You can stay as long as you want."

I follow her down the hall, turning a few times before we enter a small room. Millie was sleeping on the bed, looking completely exhausted. Her face was pale and bags were forming under her eyes. She looked like a kid, so young and scared, and my heart broke for her.

"I'll be back as soon as I've got answers for you both." The doctor says to me, "Why don't you try and get some sleep? You look just as exhausted as our future momma, here."

I send her a tight-lipped smile, sitting in a chair by the wall. It wasn't particularly comfortable, but it would do. I stared at Millie, thinking of the tough road she had in front of her. She would have to sacrifice all of her twenties for her kid - a sacrifice I knew she was happy to make - but she would miss out on so much. It would be hard for her to date. She would spend almost all her time working to save money and provide for the kid. She had been lucky I was able to find her some daycare options that were either free or in her price range, but they would struggle.

Now that I was basically broke, I knew I wouldn't be able to help them as much as I had wanted. I wouldn't even be close to them if I was staying at Harry's for the foreseeable future.

I needed to call Harry. When I had gotten the call I was so focused on Millie and my godchild that Harry had moved to the back of my mind. I had been almost numb the last few hours, head nearly empty, broken from what had happened today. And I was so tired. I needed to sleep. Maybe I should take a nap and then call him, so I could be all there when I explain to him what had happened.

I hoped he knew I wasn't calling kiwi on us. He had to have known I was having a panic attack. He probably knew the moment I gasped for air. While I had thought I was dying, he was trying to help me, and I had pushed him away.