Chapter Sixty-Two

EMMA

One of the hardest things I ever had to do was testify in court. My anxiety was through the roof the whole time. I had to look at Jake in the box, face still bruised, nose obviously broken from his run-in with Harry's fist and my car window. The jurors stared at me while I answered questions, judging me, trying to see if I was lying or telling the truth. Every single one of my inactions and actions were displayed in front of everyone.

Harry was there, supporting me through it all. He had already testified, the defense putting him through the wringer, trying to make him out to be the conniving, jealous boyfriend who had anger issues. It took everything in me not to stand up and defend him, but I knew he would have an even harder time when I was being questioned.

The prosecution had prepped me, told me exactly what was going to happen during the trial. She had me walk the jury through the timeline of mine and Jake's relationship, his manipulation and emotional abuse, our relationship after he broke up with me, when the texts started, and when it really started to go downhill.

They had a solid case, CCTV proof of whereabouts and actions, eyewitness accounts of what had happened to me in the parking lot, and all of the proof on my cellphone. Even though it was nearly a slam dunk case - what the lawyers have told me - it didn't stop me from having a full-on breakdown the night before the trial started. Harry had to hold me for hours after a nightmare had wrecked me, crying and shaking in his arms.

I had promised him the next morning that I would try and find a counselor to talk to about my trauma, but it had been nearly a week of testimonies and exhaustion from not sleeping well. I had no time to seek out help, and I just wanted to go back to work. I missed my kids and my classroom, and I felt an unwavering amount of guilt for how much work Harry was missing. I knew he was stressed, as well, having to relive this and also try and take care of me.

When the defense had questioned me, I fidgeted in the booth, answering their questions one at a time. They tried every trick in the book to discredit me, insinuating I'm a slut for sleeping with the guy that broke my heart for months afterwards, and then apparently switching to Harry like nothing happened. They failed to bring up the months in-between, making it seem as though I was willing to sleep around with anyone.

I kept my cool, though, knowing I had just explained the timeline thoroughly to the jury. I even kept my temper in check when they started asking me defamatory questions about Harry. They implied that Harry was the one who had me under his evil spell, pulling me away from a man who truly loved me, tried to say that I didn't start to even think it was harassment until Harry told me it was harassment.

I knew they had to do that, that this was their job, and that everyone had a right to a defense. That was the justice system. But I wasn't expecting them to concoct such a tale of brainwash and abuse. The opposite of what had really happened.

They had no real proof, though. It was all storytelling to them. There was no video footage, or witnesses, and his friends had even refused to give character statements on Jake's behalf. As much as I disliked them, and think they are a horrible group of people, I don't think they ever really thought Jake was like that. They had believed his lies, and when they were faced with the truth about the type of person he was, they turned their back on him. Not a single one showed up to the trial.

I, on the other hand, had an army. Not everyone showed up everyday due to work, but every single one of our friends had sat with Harry and I at some point. My mom came down more frequently, and even Harry's parents came down for support, his mum holding my hand as Harry took the stand.

Even Maddie and Joe showed once. I had had lunch with them a few weeks back, before Harry's parents anniversary. I was so used to the bruise on my face that I hadn't thought twice about showing up to the restaurant with it. When both of them saw me, it was question after question. Maddie holding back her horror and Joe holding back his anger. I had opened up quite a bit to them about what was happening, not blaming either of them for our situation.