Chapter Forty-Nine

EMMA

The soft feather touch of his finger on my skin woke me up.

I had slept so soundly, no dreams, nightmares, or in-betweens. It was the first good sleep I had had since our last night in the cottage. I didn't quite want to open my eyes, yet, instead basking in the warmth of his body engulfing mine. I was held in such a tight embrace, lying on my side, his arm wrapped around me, hand up the back of my shirt where his fingers danced along my spine.

I shuffled closer, if that was even possible, burying my face in his neck. A soft hum travelled to my ear while his foot softly grazed up and down my ankle. I've never felt this level of peace, such a juxtaposition to how I felt waking up yesterday morning. The last twenty-four hours had been a real test for us. Somehow, we were able to find our way back to each other.

It would've been easy for him to assume I was done with him, that by calling kiwi I was quitting us. It also would've been easy for me to run from my problems, shut everyone out. But we were adults not stupid teenagers who didn't know how to handle conflict, and above all else we held a love for each other that I didn't believe could be rivaled. 

Opening up to him last night, telling him things that I normally would've kept locked away, and admitting how scared I was, was one of the most freeing moments of my life. I had slowly felt that pressure that had been threatening to overwhelm me ease away. He was sucking the poison out of me just by listening to me. We shared each other's pain in a way I didn't think would exist, like our souls were tied together by destiny.

I honestly think that Harry was my destiny. Like I was born to fall in love with him, and to be loved by him. Never had I felt so whole in my life. Growing up, something was always missing and my confidence and self-esteem had suffered, leading me to men or people who would use me for their own benefit.

I had finally found where I belonged.

I kept my eyes shut, half-asleep, focusing in on his touch. The expanse of his hand between my shoulder blades, rubbing until he met the middle of my back, his hand slowly disappearing, replaced by the gentleness of his finger.

Down my spine, playing with the hem of my pajama pants until it tantalizingly moves to my hip. Gracefully, he caressing my side, shirt budging up, causing goosebumps to form all over my torso, both because of the cold air and his touch. He squeezed my love handles, long sweeps up to the side of my chest, his thumb rubbing circles into my side boob. 

It didn't feel like a move. This wasn't him trying to start something. This was just him enjoying my body. I could feel the softness and care in which he touched me, my heart growing just thinking about it. I felt so cherished in this moment, and, while I didn't want it to end, I also wanted to see his face.

My hand moved from it's very comfortable spot underneath my chin, wedged in-between us, to his neck, flittering up into his hair to tangle my fingers in. He moved a little, so I could feel his mouth against my hairline, a small smile beginning to form. Tilting my head up, eyes still closed, I waited to feel his lips touch mine.

Softly and carefully, I feel a graze of his lips against mine, taking his time by nudging my nose with his. I let out a little giggle, finding this early morning Harry to be so adorable. Finally, he kissed me for real, my bottom lip in-between his in a gentle caress.

My hand moved to his face, his own mirroring mine. It was so intimate, and, unlike so many times before when I would downplay these moments as if they didn't mean anything, now I was living for them.

I open my eyes, focusing in on the beautiful man before me. His sleepy eyes blinked at me, a bright smile forming on his lips.

"Good morning, baby." I say, voice still a little groggy from sleep.