Chapter Fifty-Nine

TRIGGER WARNING - VIOLENCE & RAPE MENTIONS

HARRY

"You going to be staying late at work tonight?" Emma asks, stepping aside for me to reach over and grab my deodorant.

She looks beautiful, still a little tired in the eyes, but hair and makeup finished. I don't think she had been sleeping very well since last weekend. I would lie awake and watch her fall asleep every night, holding her in my arms. It was like my brain couldn't shut off if she wasn't peacefully lying next to me.

All week I had been looking over my shoulder, constantly in contact with Emma throughout the day to make sure she was alright. Every time I sent out a text or dialed her number it was like my heart would stop beating until I heard from her. I was utterly terrified that she wouldn't answer one day, that Jake would've gotten to her. I couldn't even think of what would happen if he did, painful images flashing in my mind all day.

My anxiety was through the roof, and I think the only reason I hadn't had a full on panic attack was because of Emma. She made sure to check in with me while I was working upstairs in the office, coming in occasionally just for kisses or to give me a quick head massage. I didn't tell her I was working extra hard so I could have an easy weekend with her, maybe take her somewhere for a few days again. I had explained to my boss that there was some family problems happening right now, and that I might be missing days here and there. I was hoping to take Monday off with her again, but I saw the worry in her eyes every day, her own anxiety being pushed away by her instinct to care for me.

She had this way about her that was so calming, something I've known and craved since that first time together. Emma was a sturdy presence in my life that kept all the bad things at bay, and even though she was scared she was more worried about me.

It made me love her even more.

I felt it in the way she made love to me last night, slow, gentle, with slight desperation. I could see it in her eyes: how badly she needed me to feel good. She fell asleep a lot faster last night, neither of us up past midnight. I knew she was waking up quite a bit in the middle of the night, me having to wake her up every morning as our alarms sounded, and the deep bags under her eyes a dead giveaway.

I hated what he was doing to us, but it would be over soon. Emma and I would be free and safe.

"Don't think so. I'm pretty sure I'm all caught up, so it should be an easy day if everything goes according to plan." I answer, leaning down to kiss her cheek. She smiled to herself, making my heart skip a beat. "I'm going to try and get off an hour earlier today, so that way you aren't home alone for too long."

She looks at me, and I can see her mind whirling, trying to see how stressed I was. "Don't worry if you can't, babe. Niall's been following me home and checking the place out before I come in, and we've got the alarm system now. I don't want you stressing yourself out, if you don't need to."

I owed Niall a lot. I don't think I would've been able to handle the idea of her coming home to the house by herself, entering it without knowing it was completely safe. Even with the alarm system I was panicking.

I sigh, "I know, Em. I'm just getting nervous, because everything's been so quiet, you know?"

"I know," she say quietly, wrapping her arms around my neck, "but we're talking with Spencer tomorrow, and soon this will all be over."

I lean down and nudge her nose to the side, and say, "Can't come soon enough. I love you."

"And I love you."

"I've got to take a wee, so it's your choice if you want to stay-"

"Okay, I'm out."

I'm laughing as she walks out, taking the coffee I made for her a few minutes ago. I finish my business, and walk out of the bathroom. Immediately, I feel the tension in the air, looking at Emma, tense and staring at her phone, "What's wrong?"