8

I slept deeply that night- something that didn't happen often. Usually, I'd wake up at least a few times if anyone in our house or the house next door made a sound. I'd also always wake up naturally at a reasonable time, however this morning, it was the buzzing of my phone that woke me.

I groaned, my room full of morning sunshine, and checked my phone.

Where are you? Kate had text.

I frowned, then checked the time. When I'd said morning sunshine, I was, in fact, mistaken. It was the afternoon, and time to be in one of Irina's lectures.

Ah, fuck. I replied.

Did you forget? She asked.

Just woke up.

Kate replied with a number of laughing emojis, before I struggled out of bed. I had noticed that whenever I fused with the lightning element, it would leave me energised for a couple of days and I'd stay up late, unable to sleep, and then all of a sudden I'd crash.

I guess this was payment for fusing twice in a row yesterday.

I pulled some clothes on, making myself look reasonably presentable, grabbed my bag and a banana, and set off quickly.

I tried to sneak in quietly, but there was no getting past Irina unnoticed. Besides, she'd probably already noticed my absence. She raised her eyebrows at me as I walked in, just to make sure that I knew that she'd noticed I was late, but continued with the lecture anyway.

Kate and I exchanged a nod as I sat down and got my paper out my bag, before I delved into the lecture.

__________

"Yo, guys." Ryan said, walking over to Kate and I with Sunny in tow. Kate and I were sat outside eating lunch. Kate waved.

I also waved, my mouth full of food.

"Hey." Kate said.

"Adam and I are going out tonight, and you lot are invited." He announced.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"Where are we going, Millie." Ryan corrected. "We are going bowling, and I am going to win."

I raised my eyebrows. "Oh, are you now?" I asked. "I guess we'll have to see about that."

"I have been practicing since last time, so be prepared to meet your match." He said.

I laughed. "Is Adam any good?"

"He assured me that he was shit at it." Ryan said.

"You just really wanna win, don't you?" Sunny asked, amused.

"Yes!" Ryan said. "I absolutely want to win! Millie made me look like an idiot last time, saying she hadn't done it before and then coming first."

Everyone laughed loudly. Well, maybe I'd let him win tonight.

"Well, I'm down." Kate said. I nodded in agreement.

"Great." Ryan said. "We'll meet you at the alley at eight."

And with that, Ryan and Sunny left, presumably to go to their lessons.

"Had you got your powers when we went bowling last time?" Kate asked, suddenly realising. "Is that how you beat Shaks in an arm wrestle?"

I smiled. "It was near the very beginning, so at the time I didn't know I was using them. But yeah, it's how I beat Shaks and probably how I won the game."

"Cheater." She muttered. "I think Ryan might cry if you don't let him win."

I chuckled. "Yeah, I think I might have to put my pride in a box tonight."