16

I woke, gasping for breath, and sat up quick.

Then I frowned. I was in Adam's living room, having been laying on his red sofa, although I didn't remember falling asleep.

I turned, and then noticed that both Akio and Adam were sat there, watching me. Adam's eyes were wide, like he were surprised at something. Akio, on the other hand, seemed calm and collected. I felt a little awkward.

"Umm..." I rubbed my head, which was swimming with thoughts.

Adam and Akio were still staring at me.

"What?" I asked, more collected this time. "Did I fall asleep?"

"Not exactly." Adam said, and got up from the chair he was sitting in.

"The dragons have accepted you." Akio said, although I wasn't quite sure if I'd heard him right. He said it like I should know exactly what he was talking about.

"Huh?" I asked. Adam came and sat down next to me.

"The dragons." Akio repeated. "They have given you their blessing."

I frowned harder. "What does that mean?"

"You know before, when I told you about the dragons being spirits?" Adam said. "I wasn't lying."

I mean, I'd heard crazier. I was the very definition of crazy when it came to things like this.

"But I think you suspected that already." Akio said. "It's no harder to believe than the fact that you can control one of the elements yourself."

I was taken aback by Akio's statement. He knew?

I gasped, and then looked at Adam.

"I mean, if we didn't know already, then we certainly would now." He said. "Your eyes are glowing."

I looked away reflexively, only just realising that my eyes were alight. I blinked a few times, and when they returned back to normal, I looked back.

"A Silverblood with two silver eyes." Akio said, rubbing his chin in thought. "I've never seen one of those."

Silverblood? I'd never heard of that term before. I actually quite liked it.

"But..." This was rather a lot. "You knew this entire time and didn't say anything?"

"Not exactly." Adam said. "My uncle did. The first time I saw you, I didn't suspect anything, but then when my uncle met you, he told me that you were one of the Silverbloods. I'd heard legends of your kind, but had never actually seen or met one before. Then when I saw you again, I noticed your eyes. It's strange how people see your blue eyes when they don't know."

I nodded, then turned to Akio. "So you knew the entire time?"

He nodded. "Yes."

"And what did you mean when you said the dragons had accepted me?"

"My uncle and I aren't as human as you may think." Adam said. "We're called Spirit Warriors."

"Spirit Warriors?" I repeated.

"Yes." Adam said. "We can manipulate the spirit element."

My eyebrows went up. I'd not heard of this spirit element before... so there were eight elements? Did Ronan know this?

"A Spirit Warrior is chosen by one of the twelve spirits." Akio began, and then pointed to each of the paintings on the wall. "Rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, snake, horse, sheep, monkey, rooster, dog, pig or dragon. Each spirit comes with its own strengths and weaknesses, and it is the essence of that animal that a Spirit Warrior can utilise."