22

I woke early the next morning, knowing that Adam would probably wake early and would be wanting to leave as soon as possible. I was just eating my breakfast when I received a text from him.

Hey Mills, I'm ready when you are. Just pop by the restaurant.

I put down my toast to key in a reply.

Okay, will be there ASAP.

I text Ronan, telling him that I was going with Adam to see this dude- Ronan wanted to come, but last night Adam text me saying that this guy didn't like unwanted company. He wasn't even sure if he'd talk with me in the room, let alone two people. I managed to assure Ronan that I'd call him if things went wrong. He did, however, say he'd give me a lift, so two moments later Ronan was standing in my bedroom.

"Ready?" He asked.

I shoved the last bit of toast in my mouth, gulped some tea, and then nodded. "Yep." I said.

Ronan took hold of my shoulder, and my feet left the floor.

__________

We landed outside the restaurant.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come?" Ronan asked.

I smiled. "I don't think you can come." I said. "We wanna get as much information out of this guy as we can, and I don't think your presence will help."

He pursed his lips.

"Don't worry." I said. "I will tell you everything when we get back."

Ronan nodded. "Okay." He said. "Be careful."

"Will do." I said, and turned to walk into the restaurant.

When I walked through the door, Adam was there with one of the waiters. He smiled when he saw me.

"Hey, Millie." He said. "You ready to go?"

I nodded. "Yeah." I said. "Where are we going?"

"Soho." Adam said, putting a bag on his back.

"Does this guy know you're coming?" I asked.

"Nope." Adam said. We started walking out the door. "I don't think he would agree to meet."

I looked at him. "Who is he? A friend?"

"He was." Adam said. "Him and uncle Akio used to be very close. His name is Koji, and used to be in love with Akio's wife, Niko. They dated for a while, but then they grew distant and things didn't quite work out. They stayed friends, though, and then Akio fell in love with her. Koji didn't have an issue with this, except the fact that Akio brought Niko into the spirit world. Koji always told him that it was dangerous for her, and that he'd end up getting her killed." Adam sighed. "Unfortunately Koji was right, and never forgave Akio for doing it."

I remembered Akio saying something about his wife to Fujio. "But Fujio killed her?"

"Yes." Adam said. "Fujio and Akio got into a huge fight- a little like the one you saw the other day. Niko got in the middle of it, and Fujio ended up killing her. Like I said, Koji has blamed Akio ever since. They haven't spoken for years."

"Damn." I said. "You think he will talk to you?"

Adam shrugged. "I have no idea- we've never even met before. It all happened way before I was born. But I'm willing to give it a try. If he knows that Fujio is growing stronger, he may be more inclined to help. One man Koji hates more than Akio is Fujio."

I hoped that this was the case. Adam and I stepped on the tube to get to Soho, but it was super busy so we ended up being pushed away from each other. Still, we got off at the same time and Adam led the way, down a few side streets.