58

------ Millie ------

I didn't remember feeling the impact of the blast- only that I was flung off my feet.

Then nothing.

I didn't feel myself hit the ground.

Nor did I remember passing out or losing consciousness.

For what felt like eternity, or perhaps even just seconds, I just seemed to float in a mid state of consciousness. I was aware of myself. I was aware of the fact that I was aware. I just couldn't wake up. I couldn't open my eyes.

Or was it that I didn't want to?

Eventually, whatever state I was in ended. I opened my eyes, only to find that I wasn't anywhere in particular. Everything was white, and I was floating.

I looked at my hands, and they were pure white. Like a glowing white. In fact, my whole body was white. Like when all the elements had come together.

I frowned, wondering where I was and what was happening as my body slowly floated down to the ground and I was standing on my feet.

"Millie?"

I turned and saw a smokey figure standing there. It was the shape of a man, but made entirely of smoke.

"Adam?" I asked back.

Now was not the time for arguing. We both ran towards each other, relieved we weren't alone.

"Where are we?" I asked.

"I think we might be in some kind of limbo." Adam said. "There is an archway over there-" He pointed behind him, although all I saw was white space. "-and a door over there." He then pointed over my shoulder. I turned, and again all I saw was white space. "You have to walk for a bit." He said.

I looked at my hands again. "Why am I like this?"

"You have fused with your elements all at once." He said. "Just as I have fused with mine."

"Did the chalice do this?" I asked.

Adam nodded. "I think so."

"Can we get back?" I wondered out loud.

Adam frowned. "You want to go back?" He asked. "Can't you feel all that power running through you? All that energy?"

I paused for a moment, paying attention for the first time to how I was feeling. I wasn't scared, or panicked. I felt very calm. But when I focused, I realised Adam was right. It felt as though I were made of pure energy. It felt good.

I laughed. "That's incredible." I said.

"Right?" He agreed. "Come, let me show you something."

Adam took my hand, despite the circumstances, and led me through the white space before an archway appeared before us.

"How long have you been here?" I asked as we walked.

"I have no idea." Adam said. "We've both been here the same length of time. But you seemed to take a while to wake up."

"Oh." I said.

We approached the archway- it was huge and made of stone, and I could see it led outside. It looked very out of place. Behind it was just white space, but through it was the outside. Adam pulled me through, and we were in a garden. The strange, white ground turned to spongy grass, and the walls to endless forests and trees. I could hear birds tweeting loudly, and water running somewhere- perhaps a waterfall. The skies were bluer than I'd ever seen them before.