42

As I walked back home, I couldn't help but think about the last thing Miss Jones had said to me.

Please come back and let me know how everything goes.

I began to think about the similar situations I'd been in with Haydn and Doctor Geralds. About how both times I'd very nearly been killed. I knew this would be another one of those situations, although it hadn't quite hit me until now. I might not even be able to go back and let her know how everything goes.

I'll admit, it didn't hit me as hard as it did the first time. Was it possible to get used to running into dangerous situations and nearly being killed? If so, I was surely on my way.

Was this going to happen every year? Some guy craving too much power? And why was it always a man? I'd yet to come across a power hungry woman, although I was almost certain that they were out there. Maybe they weren't in this particular area. Perhaps some other Argent elsewhere had to deal with them.

I got home and text both Adam and Ronan to say I'd got the stone. We had two out of four- how on earth were we supposed to get the other two from Fujio? We had absolutely no chance. Unless he was clumsy. Big headed. It was quite possible that he carried the stones around with him, knowing full well that we would be looking for them. It would be risky to leave them anywhere out of his sight, and carrying them around would be like showing them off. A trophy. I had no doubt that he would go back to see Adam at some point. He must know that we have at least one of the stones by now.

We just had to be prepared. He'd be after our stones, and we'd be after his. We just had to make sure that we won the fight.

And after that?

I had no clue. I'd been wondering if it would be wise to destroy whatever was in that box. If we even got hold of the box. The more I thought about it, the more realistic it seemed that the box in the museum was a fake. After all, why would the real thing be in the museum? Someone like Fujio would have taken it already. A quick Google search would probably reveal that the museum had the exhibit.

I guess we'd just have to wait and see what happened next.

For now, I would enjoy my weekend at home. Tomorrow was Sunday- that meant church day, and I knew my mum would want me to go with her. I'd also want to go with her. Not only to see Stella, but perhaps to just take a breath. A break. I always found that church allowed me to do that. When I was there, it was like I didn't have to think about anything Argent related.

Even if it was just for an hour.

__________