18

I slept at Adam's that night- on the sofa- and woke early. I decided to go and check on Akio, wondering if I was able to do anything to help.

I knocked first, just in case anyone else was in there, but after a moment of silence I quietly stepped in, shutting the door behind me. Akio was still laying on the bed in the same position as we'd put him in- on his back, with the duvet pulled up to his chest.

I pulled up a chair and sat down next to the bed. Akio was pale, his face almost as grey as the smokey spirit he could wield. But he was breathing steadily, which was a good sign.

I wondered if my earth element could help him, remembering what I'd done to Kate going back, and so decided to try. I called the earth and let it run through my veins, before taking hold of Akio's arm and letting it flow through. I could see it enter his body by the sudden green lighting of his veins beneath his skin, and allowed it to continue until I realised it wasn't doing anything at all.

The door opened then, and I turned to see Adam coming in.

"Oh, hey." He said, surprised that I was in here. "I thought you'd gone." I thought he sounded relieved that I wasn't, but I could have been wrong.

I smiled. "Nope." I said.

Adam pulled up another chair. "What are you doing?" He asked, looking at the remnants of green light beneath Akio's skin.

"I wanted to see if I could help." I said. "With the earth element. But it didn't do anything."

"Thank you." He said. "For trying. And being here."

I looked at him. "That's okay." I said. "Although I will need to go back home soon."

"Of course." He said. "Does your earth element usually heal?"

I nodded. "It can do, yes." I said. "It healed Kate, and it's healed me more times than I can remember."

He smiled. "Akio will not wake until his spirit is returned." Adam said.

I hated how I was no help in all this, but got up anyway. "Let me know if there are any changes." I said. "I will try and figure something out, to get Fujio."

Adam stood up with me. "I will. And thank you. I will also try and figure something out."

I hugged Adam, mostly because I felt like he needed a hug right now. He hugged me back.

"Bye." I said, and left.

__________