27

Ronan left me round the back of uni, but had to return back to his new Argent- apparently he'd left the hospital, so over the next week Ronan was going to start introducing himself into his life.

I went back, only to see Kate waiting at the doors.

"Millie!" She exclaimed when she saw me approach, and ran over. "Are you okay?"

I nodded. "All good." I said.

"Did you explode?" She asked.

I chuckled. "Yeah." I said.

"Jheez." She said, and we walked inside. "How often is that gonna happen?"

I shrugged. "I don't even know."

We entered the lab, and Irina immediately came over. "You okay?" She asked. "Did Ronan get you away?"

"Yeah, it's all good." I said. "He took me to a field somewhere."

"Oh, good." Irina said, and then frowned. "Why didn't you summon your Prometheum?"

I realised that Irina didn't know any of what had happened the day before, and just chuckled. "Like I said before, I have a lot to catch you all up on."

"Perhaps it would be in David's interest to come to training tonight as well?" She wondered.

I nodded. "Yeah, I think so. If I'm gonna explode more then he should probably know about it."

Irina nodded, before we sat back down at the computers.

Ryan came in then, and dumped his stuff down. "Hey." He said, slightly out of breath.

"Did you run here?" Kate asked, amused.

Ryan nodded. "Yes." He said. "I woke up late. What were you guys doing outside just now? I saw you come from round the corner." He was looking at me and Kate.

Kate looked at me.

"Oh, uh, I just wanted some air." I said. "Kate came to check on me."

"Oh." Ryan said. He gave me a look, as if he knew that I might be lying, but he didn't question it. "Are you okay now?"

I nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine." I said.

"Good." Ryan said. "Anyway, what did I miss?"

"Not a lot." I said.

"You missed Peter's lecture." Kate corrected me. "That's quite a lot."

Ryan chuckled nervously. "Yeah, I'm gonna need to catch up on that."

"We're also going on a trip to the science museum at some point." I said.

"Oh yeah? Why?" Ryan asked.

"To see the computing area. About Alan Turing." I said. "Peter is going to organise it."

Ryan laughed. "I haven't been on a school trip in years." He said.

"Neither." Both Kate and I said together.

"Where were you earlier?"

We all turned to see Peter had crept up on us, but he was talking to Ryan specifically.

Ryan blushed, and tried not to laugh. "I, uh, was late."

"Yeah, I gathered that." Peter said. "You missed quite a bit. If you pop by my office later, I can give you the notes."

"Really?" Ryan asked. "That would be awesome, thanks."

Peter smiled and nodded, before leaving us to see how the other groups were getting on.

"You know, I thought I was gonna get told off like a bad school kid or something." Ryan said.

Kate and I laughed.

"Peter is nice to most people." I said. I knew he could be a nightmare if you didn't do his work or put any effort into his course, but luckily I hadn't personally seen that side of him. Only from a distance.

"True." Ryan said. "Anyway, please tell me what work we need to do." He said.

And so Kate and I started explaining what we'd done so far.

__________

We stayed in the lab for a while after the session had finished, just to complete the work, before both Kate and I went with Ryan to Peter's office, which was located just down the hall from David's.

Ryan knocked, before Peter called him in- Kate and I waited outside.

"What's this I hear about having to go training with you tonight?" I heard David call down the hall- I turned to see he'd poked his head out of his office.

I laughed. "I have shit to tell you, and you were the only one not coming already."

He sighed. "Well, I guess I could come." He said, standing in the doorway. "What are you doing here, anyway?"

"Ryan needed to get some work from Peter." I said. "We came with him."

"Oh." He said. "So you didn't come to pester me?"

I chuckled. "Looks like you're the one doing the pestering at the moment."

David pulled a childish face, before returning back to his office and closing the door. Kate and I laughed, before Ryan came out holding a few sheets of paper.

"Did I just hear David say he was going training with you later?" Ryan asked, frowning.

Shit. Sometimes I don't think David realised how loud he could be.

"Uh, I don't think so." I said.

"I swear I heard him say that." Ryan said, perhaps a bit amused.

"He said something about his training for kick boxing." I lied.

"Oh." Ryan said, and laughed. "That must have been it."

We started leaving, as Ryan shoved the papers into his bag. "You know, I haven't heard anything from Adam recently." He said, and looked at me. "Did your date go okay? You haven't mentioned it."

Of course, I couldn't tell Ryan what really happened on our date, or what was currently going on with Adam, so instead I nodded and smiled. "The date was fine." I said. "I think he's been quite busy helping his uncle with the restaurant."

"Oh, yeah, it does get quite busy." Ryan agreed. "Maybe I'll text him later to see how he's doing."

"I'm sure he'd appreciate that." I said, not lying. It would be nice for anyone to have a break from anything supernatural related.

"You guys wanna grab some food?" Ryan asked. "I'm starving."

"That'll be all that running late you've been doing." Kate said.

I laughed, as did Ryan.

"Hey." Ryan said. "None of that negativity, Kate. Either you want chicken nuggets or you don't."

"Of course I want chicken nuggets." Kate said, and I nodded in agreement. I wanted chicken nuggets too. In fact, it was nice to do something ordinary for a change. All this business with Adam, Spirit Warriors, Fujio and the Chaos made me crave something normal. And yes, in this instance, that meant chicken nuggets.

And so we went to McDonald's.

__________