39

As I walked to uni, I wondered whether I should let Ronan know what was going on. I also wondered whether I wanted him to be there. He was always there when this kind of thing happened. But Adam would also be there. Would there be any beef?

Of course I wanted Ronan there, I realised suddenly.

I sent him a quick text, saying that Adam had found someone to recover my memory. I also added on the end that he didn't have to come if he didn't want to, just in case.

I'll be there.

This was Ronan's speedy response, and I smiled. Of course he would be there. He was always there.

As soon as I got to uni and told Kate about it, I wasn't surprised that she also wanted to be there.

"I'll be there to tame the boys." She'd said to me with a big grin on her face.

And so later that evening, I went to meet Kate and Ronan outside the tube station- it was just Ronan when I arrived. Ronan smiled, and all the tension that had been present the day before was gone. At least, I couldn't feel it.

"Hey." I said, glad things were somewhat back to normal for now.

"Hey." He said in return, and then frowned. "Are you nervous?"

I nodded. "Yeah, I am a little nervous to have a stranger rummaging through my brain."

"Yeah, I suppose that's not the best thing." Ronan said. "But at least you can get your memory back."

"I am a little excited, as well." I said. "It's gonna be a strange experience."

"For sure." Ronan said, just as Kate approached.

"Hey, guys." She said. I was glad she didn't start acting all weird around Ronan.

"Let's get out of sight." Ronan said, and took Kate and I to a back alley before teleporting us to Adam's restaurant.

We landed just outside, and knocked the door. Two moments later, and Adam was there.

"Hey." He said, and I didn't miss the flash of awkwardness in his eyes when he realised Ronan was here. But, he didn't say anything about it. "Come on in."

We all went in, and Adam led us upstairs to the living room. If I thought I was nervous before, I was wrong. Now I was nervous.

Sitting on the red sofa was a middle aged man with long, grey hair he had tied back in a pony tail. He turned as we walked in, and smiled kindly. Immediately, some of the anxiety died down a bit. He didn't look threatening or mean.

The Asian man stood up and reached out to shake my hand. "Hi- it's Millie, right?"

I nodded, and smiled back. "Yes. Nice to meet you."

"And you." He said, and went to shake Kate and Ronan's hands as well. "My name is Sam. It's a pleasure to be in your presence. I have heard only rumours of your kind."

We all went to take a seat- of course, I sat next to Sam.

"Do you know what is about to happen?" Sam asked.

"Somewhat." I said. "You're going to recover a lost memory?"

Sam nodded. "Yes. But it's not just recovering the memory. The magic allows you to wonder the realm as if you are reliving that moment. Meaning, you can see your memory and much more. You can walk around, see things that you perhaps wouldn't have seen in the memory in the first place."

"Okay." I said. "What do I need to do?"

"First, you must go to sleep." Sam said. "I can help you with that. Then, you do nothing. I will locate the barrier in your mind, and then try to break through. You will wake up in the memory- it will feel like a dream, but you will be very much aware of it."