Luis Mendoza

Truth or dare.

I hated every thing about that game. Was it even a game? No, I don't think so. 

Playing hockey meant you grew to love your teammates whether you actually wanted to or not. It meant you grew close to those people and treated then like family. I learned through hockey that a team stays together and helps one another out. However, when you're not on the ice, you're doing something else to keep yourselves occupied and my team wasn't a normal one. 

Off the ice we pulled pranks and did as we pleased. Now, I was stuck in the boys' dorm playing truth or dare with my entire hockey team as we were crowded around the room, sitting on beds, a chair here or there or the floor. I was seated with Connie and Julie on one of the top bunks, the three of us chatting, but at the same time listened to the dares or truths the boys did.

I didn't know why I bothered to join in on their games because the boys were unpredictable and I knew this since the day I met them. I've joined in on many little pranks or shenanigans, but there were times where I remained quiet and watched.

"My turn!" Goldberg called, rubbing his hands together. "Truth or dare, Kenny?"

"Um," Ken thought. "Truth."

"Aw, come on, Man." Portman smacked the bed frame. "You wussy."

"Go for a dare." Jesse said.

"Maybe next time." Ken shrugged it off, spinning around on a desk chair. "Go."

Goldberg thought, when he had a good truth, he nods to himself with confidence and speaks up. Kinda got me wondering what he had to say. "Who, in this room, do you think would be a bad date?"

The boys laughed, not sure what kind of question that was. I laughed with the girls, unable to keep my smile hidden. That truth was kind of lame, but hey, that's who we were. "Averman."

"What!" He shot his head around. "Me? Why?" He gasped and points to himself.

"I bet you I know why." Connie laughed, hitting my shoulder. This game was going to get real, real fast. I didn't know what the boys had in mind, but I knew more dares would come and more truths would be told.

Ken shrugged. "I don't know." He laughed. "I just think you'd be the worst date. Maybe you're broke, who knows? Maybe you eat like a pig? I don't know." Ken laughed, Charlie and Guy laughing with him hysterically because Averman was actually broke and he didn't eat like a pig, but similar to one. "My turn. Truth or dare, Jesse."

I didn't pay attention to Jesse's turn, too busy talking to the girls. However, my attention was brought back when I heard my name. "Truth or dare, Marley?"

I looked over to notice him wearing everyone's clothes. Gazing around, drawers ere open and he must've dug through the drawers and created an outfit, which did not match.

I bowed my head down into the mattress, not wanting it to be my turn. I didn't think they were even paying attention to the three of us, but they were and all the boys looked over at us. I sighed and spoke. "Truth." My words muffled from my face in the mattress.

"What?" He asked.

"Truth. I said truth." I answered, lifting my head from the mattress, the boys laughing. 

"Dare? Okay." Jesse nods, thinking and all the boys grew excited. We made a rule at the beginning of the game that there were not cuts or back outs, you had to do the dare or truth and when it was finished, you could then back out of the game, but if you did, then you were out for good.

I really didn't want a dare, but the boys would surely never leave me alone if I didn't say 'dare'. I didn't really mind the dare, but it was the dares the boys would come up with that scared me. They dared me one year to jump into a public fountain back home and my mother was watching. Oh, that did not go well. She dragged me out of that faster than you could say 'shoe sale'.