He's Your Child

Qrow's POV

"I've been through this village once before. I was on a mission for Ozpin, long while back." I said, walking with the Ace Ops. We were clearing small villages on the outskirts of Mantle of grimm. 

"Is that so?" Elm asked. I nodded.

"What were you doing so close to Mantle? I thought Ozpin didn't have you work in the General's territory," Clover, my husband, pressed.

"Usually he didn't. But there was something special going on here. Reports of a scorpion faunus causing trouble made their way  to Ozpin. Oz wanted me to make sure it wasn't Tyrian. But when I got here, he was long gone."

"well, that doesn't matter now," Vine said. "What matters is that we finish our current job." 

We made our way towards the town center, asking people along the way about the grimm. They said that they didn't have grimm often, but when they did, it was bad. 

As we chatted with some of the locals, a lady who I vaguely recognized came up to me and slapped me across the face. Clover noticed and stepped forward.

"Excuse me ma'am, but you just assaulted a military official. You can either come with us peacefully or be arrested." The woman looked a Clover in disgust, but followed him into a deserted building.

Elm and Vine shared a look, and within seconds, the entire Ace Ops team followed their leader. I joined them, wondering what was going on. 

"Ma'am, why did you smack that huntsman?" Clover was asking the lady, who had sat in a chair.

"That's not any huntsman, that's Qrow Branwen. And he left me with his child!" She said. Everyone, even me, was surprised by this. 

"A few years ago, that man" she pointed me me, "came into our village for a job. I was the bartender at the bar and I served him for almost an entire day. We flirted the whole time, and eventually, we did some..." She hesitated, thinking of how to state it. "...stuff. But anyways, he left, and I've had to raise his child by myself. I've tried contacting him, but it hasn't worked." 

"Um, thank you ma'am. Would you give us a minute?" Clover asked. The lady nodded and Clover signaled to Elm to stay with her. Clover grabbed me by the arm and pulled me into an adjacent room. "Do you know what she is talking about?" He asked me.

"Vaguely," I admitted. "To be honest, one night stands were common when I was traveling and drunk. But it isn't likely that I'm the father. She's known for screwing with a bunch of travelers, it could have been almost any guy that passed through at that time." Clover sighed. 

"Well, we have to do something to keep her from getting angry. What can we do?"

I thought and tried to think of something, but I couldn't. Clover pulled me out of the room and we went to talk to the lady again.

"Ma'am, what is your name?" Clover asked.

"Laney," she answered.

"And where is the child?" 

"I left him with my parents. I haven't seen him for almost a year." That made me angry. Even if the child wasn't mine, I felt like I should step in. My parents literally deserted Raven and me, and we were lucky enough to be picked up by a bunch of bandits instead of dying. This kid, even though he had his grandparents, was deserted by him mother, and I felt terrible for him.

"I want to meet him," I said, surprising everyone. 

Clover touched my arm gently. "Babe, are you sure?" He whispered. I nodded and turned back to Laney.