Notes in Ink

A/N: AU where whatever your soulmate draws on their skin shows up on your skin. And continues to do this until you meet them. Begins happening at the age of 18. Qrow and Clover are young here. 

Oh, and it's going to in 3rd person so that I don't have to switch POV's every few paragraphs.

WARNING: TALK OF DEPRESSION AND SUICIDE, PLEASE TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF

------------------------------------------------------

Qrow woke up, excited to celebrate his eighteenth birthday. Today was a big day, the day he would officially become a huntsman and also the day that he would get his link. The day his soul would be connected to his soulmate, whoever they are. Qrow checked his skin, looking for any mark that would prove that his soulmate was eighteen yet, but none were there. He decided to draw a smiley face on his wrist, just to remind him and his soulmate to have a good day. 

   ~

Clover woke up, just a few months before his eighteenth birthday. He went to brush his teeth and, while picking up his toothbrush, he noticed a little smile face drawn on his wrist. He took a sharp breath in and smiled. Today must be his soulmate's eighteenth birthday. He couldn't wait to turn eighteen so that he could leave notes and doodles for his soulmate, whoever they were. 

 ~

Four months had passed, and not a single note or doodle from his soulmate had appeared on Qrow's skin. All of Qrow's friends had gotten their soulmate's doodles and Qrow had nothing. After two months, Qrow had basically forgotten, thinking that he was just meant to be alone. His depression, something he has struggled with for most of his teen years, was really bad today. I wrote two simple words on his wrist: "stay alive."

~

"Stay alive" was all it said. Clover stared at his wrist, wondering what to do. Today was his eighteenth birthday, so he could write to his soulmate, all he had to do was draw on his skin.

He grabbed the nearest pen, a pink one that his mother had left on the table. "Don't forget to smile."

~

Qrow lay on his bed, wondering how the hell he was going to get through the day. He looked back at the message he had wrote himself on his wrist and noticed words forming underneath it. 

"Don't forget to smile" in bright pink ink. Qrow shot up on his bed, he couldn't believe it. Did his soulmate finally turn eighteen? He did smile, just like his soulmate had asked.

~

The next few months passed with little notes being written to each other. Qrow often forgot and wrote reminders to himself on his arm and Clover took pleasure in reading each and every one of them. He laughed at how forgetful his soulmate was. If only they could meet in person...

He didn't even know his soulmate's name. They hadn't shared it, and Clover felt awkward just writing his name on his arm, so he didn't share his. But how would he know that he met the person if he didn't know who he was looking for?

He looked down at his arm, and saw a new message forming. 

"When will it end?" 

Clover was confused, when will what end? Most of the time, his soulmate just left meaningless notes, like "don't forget milk" or "Remember to be mad at Raven." But something as dramatic and strange as that worried Clover. He grabbed the nearest pen, a green one and started writing.

"Are you okay?" He waited a minute and soon, black ink appeared under his green ink. 

"No, sorry. Just really depressed right now. I'll erase it right now so that you don't have to read it. I won't do it again." The messages began to disappear.