Definitions

A/N: This is the story for Fair Game Week, day 1! (Flirting/semblances) Enjoy!

-----------------------------------

Clover's POV

A crash came from the other room. 

"D*nm it!" I heard Qrow yell. "Why couldn't I just have a normal semblance?" 

Oh no, I knew what happened when Qrow got into this thought process, he would get depressed. He often connected bad things to his bad luck semblance, and that wasn't healthy. He knew this, but he had been thinking like this for years, so it was habit for him to blame himself.

I got up off of the couch I was sitting on and walked into the room the crash had come from. Qrow was standing in front of the table, a vase on the floor, shattered into a thousand tiny pieces.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Making dinner, knocked vase off the table." Qrow said. "No thanks to my semblance." I frowned.

"But it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your semblance."

"Clover, this is the third thing I've broken today. I've also tripped down  two flights of stairs and walked into a door. My semblance is working overtime today. These things don't just happen coincidentally, especially with me." He began to clean up the shattered glass. 

I bent down to help him. 

"I still don't think it's your semblance. No offense Qrow, but you aren't the most coordinated person to begin with. It just sounds like you're having a bad day." 

"Easy for you to say, I'm sure you don't have to worry about walking into doors, with a good luck semblance like yours." 

We finished cleaning up the broken vase and Qrow went and flopped down on the couch. I sat down next to him.

"My semblance isn't perfect you know." I said. "Just because I have good luck doesn't mean nothing bad ever happens to me, or nothing inconvenient, like walking into doors. I used to be very clumsy, clumsier than you are now." 

Qrow laughed. "I really doubt that." 

"Qrow, our semblances don't cause things to happen, they just increase the probability. That's what luck is, a outlook on probability. Around you, the probability of something negative happening is going to go up, whereas with me, it's likely to go down. It's not that you caused something to happen. That vase could have fallen for anyone, it was just more likely to fall around you."

"Is this supposed to make me feel better?" Qrow asked. I realized that he was right.

"Let me tell you a story. When I first discovered my semblance, I was a young teen. Before then, I was the clumsiest, sorriest excuse for a huntsman in training ever to attend a military school. I was almost kicked out, but then good stuff started to happen around me and they let me stay in hopes that I would get better. They thought my semblance made me a huntsman, that it defined me. That really made me upset, so I promised myself to work even harder, to prove them wrong. 

Sadly, that was harder than I expected. Everyone else has semblances that they can use on command, mine just is. That's the problem with passive semblances, you have no control over them."

"Where are you going with this?" Qrow asked. I shushed him and continued. 

"The thing was, I wasn't becoming a better huntsman, I wasn't stronger. More things just happened in my favor, I didn't actually do much.

"But they all praised me, claiming I was a great huntsman, that I was going places. Everyone wanted to be my best friend, they wanted to know the guy who would bring them good luck. I became less of a person and more of a tool to people. 

"I realized the only way for me to become a good huntsman was to not have my semblance, and the only way for me to not have my semblance was to shatter my aura. So once a week, that's what I did. I let myself get pushed around on the training field until my aura was shattered, then I went and trained like an actual huntsman, working to become more physically strong.

"But shattering my aura so regularly took a toll on me, I became extra tired and was a mess. I was so determined to show people who I really was now, that I ended up losing sight of my actual goal of becoming a real huntsman. 

"I was so concerned with not letting my semblance define me, that I defined myself as the person who didn't need good luck. In the end, I was letting my semblance define me, just not in the way I thought it would be." 

"I still don't get what you are saying. All I'm hearing is that we are our semblances." Qrow said.

"Qrow, what I'm trying to say is a little complicated. Yes, are semblances are a part of us, and that is something we cannot change. But younger me did have one thing right, it shouldn't be the only thing that defines us.

 Yes, you do have really bad luck, but that isn't all you are. You've defined yourself based on that. You separate yourself from your loved ones, work alone, hate yourself, all because of your semblance. But you are so much more than bad luck. You have a heart of gold, a mind sharper than most, and the best sense of humor I have ever seen. You're caring and loyal and full of love. You're this amazing man, but you refuse to see it because you only look at the surface, at the semblance." 

Qrow sat there, staring at me. 

"That was deep Clover." 

"Hey, even I have a few genius moments." This got a laugh out of Qrow and I smiled, glad that he wasn't depressed.

"You're right, you know? I guess I have let my semblance define who I am and how I see myself. I don't know how to undo all that, and let other parts of me emerge. But that's what I want, I want to grow more as a person." He said. 

"Just saying that is a good first step." I wrapped my arms around him, hugging him. "I'm proud of you and so thankful I get to see it." 

"Thank you."

"Hey, what are boyfriends for?" 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: I saw that a lot of people were using the flirting prompt and ignoring the semblance prompt, but I think these two really need to talk about what their semblances mean to them and how it affects them. So, yeah, I tried. Not sure how I feel about the finished result, but at least I tried.

Be prepared for more Fair Game content this week!I'm really excited to see what people create and read what they write!

Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed it!