The New Deal

Holding Frank's hand, we head outside the venue at the garden where Rocky is sitting on a wooden bench.

"Ready?" Frank asks me.

I nod. "Ready," I reply even though every ounce of my body is telling me otherwise.

A few second later, our fake guests appear in the garden all busying themselves with drinks in their hand and what could possibly be, a fake conversation.

I watch Rocky shove his phone in his coat and get up. He notices me from a distant and stands to make his way over to Frank and I.

"I thought you left," I tell him.

Rocky frowns. "It's not exactly something I wanted to sit through."

I can tell that Frank is nervous. I give his hand a squeeze and look up at Rocky. "Have you met my husband, Frank?"

Rocky laughs. "God you've got a good sense of humour," he says before turning to Frank. "Didn't think I'd see this day man, congratulations," he says before shaking Frank's hand and turning to walk away.

Frank clears his throat beside me. "I hope you're happy for me, bro."

That stops Rocky mid-track and he turns to face Frank. "It's hard to be happy for you, Frank. Not when you're taking the love of my life away from me."

Frank frowns. "I thought we were friends."

Rocky nods. "Exactly."

My heart breaks. I'm possibly breaking up their friendship. I would be to blame for all of this.

Rocky faces me. "Sky, I guess it's over between us. I don't want to wish you happiness but somehow I just can't see myself wishing you bad, so I do hope you're happy this time," and with that, he leaves.

————————

The door pounds heavily as I turn my head in the direction of the sound. I let the wedding dress slip down my legs and grab for my jeans.

"Frank, can you get that!" I shout from the bedroom.

Pulling a white t-shirt over my head, I grab the dress off the floor and quickly shove it into my wardrobe.

"Where is she?" A voice says a little too loudly in the living room.

"Calm down," Frank's voice echoes down the hallway.

"Don't tell me to calm down, Frank. You've just let Rocky down. How could you do that?!"

The high volume draws my attention and I head down the hallway into the living room to notice Daniella standing and shouting her disappointment at Frank.

When I walk in, her head snaps in my direction. "I cannot believe you did this," she says disappointingly at me.

"Daniella, please," I say hoping to calm her down.

However before being able to utter another word or take another step forward, Daniella slams a piece of paper against the coffee table in front of me. "Your marriage to Frank is void."

I look at her in shock. "Void?" I question.

"Your contract with Rocky stated that you could not marry anyone other than Rocky in the next four years."

My mouth dries up, as if the feeling of sandpaper takes over my tongue. "That contract was never legalised," I say calmly.

Daniella shakes her head in disappointment. "The marriage part wasn't however the second part of the contract about you not being able to marry another man was made legal."