Repentance

I twist around pulling the doona up to my neck and snuggling under it. Suddenly dread consumes me and my body bounces up. My eyes search for Rocky but he's not in the bedroom. I do however notice the dress I was wearing last night resting against the cream coloured chaise.

My eyes dart down and I pull the doona away slightly to notice I'm in an oversized men's shirt. Rocky's shirt. He must've changed me. I think back to last night.

"Oh god," I say dropping my face in the palms of my hands as memories of last night seep through my mind. Rocky must be mad that I made a complete fool of myself, even him if I'm honest. Why did I have to wear that dress?

I rub at my eyes and pull the doona away. Hoping off the bed, I walk over to our en-suite bathroom but Rocky isn't there either. Please don't be mad.

I think back to the beach. "What an idiot!" I tell myself. Rocky was there the whole time and I was beyond drunk to think that I had thought him up. I think I'm going to be sick. Rocky will never be able to look at me the same way again.

Then I think back to getting home. I passed out. The one thing I have trouble remembering is that I was crying, that part I remember vividly, but why I was crying, that I cannot figure out. Rocky's face keeps coming in my mind. Him cupping my face in his hands and reassuring me but I somehow can't remember his words either and it feels like I'm missing an important part of the conversation—an important part of last night.

When I step into the hallway, the house is eerily quiet. Usually when it's quiet, Rocky is in the library working so that's where I head for first. I'm nervous. I owe Rocky an apology. I don't know how it'll go down but he needs to know that I'm am regretful of my actions.

When I get to the library entrance, the clicking of the keyboard tells me I was correct. I notice Rocky on his laptop sitting by the mahogany table with folders stacked across the table. He looks peaceful and calm.

I knock against the side of the already open door drawing his attention up to me as I step in. Here goes.

"Hi," I say testing the waters.

"How are you feeling?" He asks.

The question takes me by shock as I was expecting him to shout or tell me how I've disappointed him. Instead he's concerned about me. "Fine," I say. "Much better this morning."

"Good," Rocky replies getting up from his chair and shutting his laptop as he makes his way over to me. "You know-," he begins to say but I cut him off.

"I know I went too far," I say quickly. "It was only supposed to be a little fun but the more I did it, the more mad I got and you don't deserve that. I wish you would tell me what happened with that mysterious conversation of yours but I've come to realise that if you've decided not to tell me then it must be for the good of me. I went overboard, trust me I know. I shouldn't have worn that dress, I shouldn't have danced on the table and I definitely shouldn't have done some of the other things I did."

Rocky smiles again taking me by surprise. "I don't know," he says. "It was quite pleasing watching you eat that banana and strawberry," he tells me as he pulls me into his arms. "Maybe though, next time you can keep that for home."

I laugh into his shirt. "I don't think that'll ever happen again. Oh and remind me to burn that dress."

This time Rocky laughs as he pulls me away from his chest. "We can't burn the dress yet. Someone still owes me an undress with that. And if I recall, you wanted a certain figure of your imagination to tell Rocky to take that dress off."

Blush reaches my cheek. "Tell me I didn't say that!"

He shakes his head. "No can do," he says before leaning in and whispering in my ear, "In fact you were quite adamant I strip you of that dress. So we're keeping it until I actually strip you of that dress."

"I'm sorry," I say bringing my hands to my face hoping the tears don't come.

Rocky grabs my hands and moves them away, tucking a straw piece of hair behind my ear before bringing his lips to mine. His kiss is gentle and soft. It's telling me to calm down, that there is no tension between us. It's the kind of kiss I have yearned for. The kind of kiss I have needed for a while. When he pulls back from the kiss, he looks me in the eyes and says, "you have nothing to be sorry about. We both went a little far but at the end of the day, none of us are hurt. We're okay and we're healthy and that's all that matters."

I press my lips to his again and whisper against them, "I still am sorry," and it is at this moment I realise how truly lucky I am to have Rocky as my husband. Even after all of that, he accepts me wholeheartedly for who I am. He knows I'm quirky, he knows I get mad and he even knows I go to full lengths when I'm hurt but he still accepts me. He's forgiving and kind. He's compassionate and understanding.

"I thought you were a horrible, horrible human being," I say.

This pulls a reaction out of Rocky. "Excuse me?"

"When we first met and I asked for your help. You brought up the contract and I was so disappointed. I thought you would help me out for old times sake. Heck, you even told me that marriage contract consisted of sex. That if we were a couple that was bound to happen."

Rocky frowns before it turns into a smile. "The contract was only to get you to stay, you know that. After high school, you refused to speak to me. Suddenly you hated me, Sky. How could it have gone from all good to suddenly all bad? I was a little mad, call it my revenge but I would've never forced myself on you. I was just pressing your buttons."

I nod. "I know that now but still," I say. "You did a good job tarnishing your image."

Rocky laughs. "It worked though. I'm married and there is no damn contract in the way."

I smile. "That's actually really sneaky."

"Now about stripping that dress off for me," he says as his eyes tease me. "Do you think that could happen now?"

I smack his shoulder. "I just woke up."

The corner of his mouth inches up into a lopsided smile. "You're not saying no."

"Oh my God, Rocky!" I tell him. "You're foul."

His hand wraps around my wrist and he pulls me closer forcing my hands behind my back. "You were seductively eating a banana of all things and I'm the foul one."

I look down and lean my head against his chest. "Did that tick you off?"

"I mean I didn't want my friends to see my wife eat a banana like that, if that's what your asking," he replies. "But I quite enjoyed it."

Trying to hide the blush forming on my cheeks, I turn ready to leave the library but Rocky's voice stops me.

"I have something for you."

Turning around, I notice him grab something red from the bowl as he throws it at me. "Catch," he says and my hands go out to grab it. "Think you can eat a strawberry while I do my work."

I frown at the strawberry in my hand. Sighing, I throw the strawberry back at him. "Eat it yourself," I tell him. "But I don't think you'll enjoy it without the chocolate."

I hear Rocky laugh behind me as I leave the library and head back upstairs to take a shower. I almost feel gross from last night and need to get all the filth off me.

When I get into the bedroom, I grab a pair of jeans and a black t-shirt with some undergarments. Heading for the shower, I undress and hop into the stream of water. The hot steam almost instantly calms my nerves. I take a deep breath. I'm at a good place. "Please don't go ruining it," I tell myself.