Another Pawn, Another Game

*Rachel's Perspective*

I smack my lips as I watch my reflection in the mirror, having resorted into a girl with no substance. I had what Nathan has turned me into. A doll who dresses up and flaunts money—the very money he is no threatening to take over.

Nathan kisses my cheek. "Beautiful as always," he says handing me over a glass of whisky.

I shake my head. "It's nine in the morning."

He laughs, his voice echoing around the apartment. "It has to be midday or night somewhere around the world," he says placing the glass on the coaster before taking a seat on the sofa, his hands thrown back against the head of the sofa and one of his legs crossed over the other. "Nice job on Sky. She had quite the mark on her cheek."

I nod. "It had to be done. I want Rocky to go as much as you do."

Nathan smiles. "It's a shame you didn't help me when we were married."

"Seems like Mikayla is keeping you quite entertained," I reply sharply.

He merely smiles before turning his head in my direction and getting up from his seat. He walks over to me, his hand trailing up my arm. "Oh she does," he whispers. "But she's got nothing on you, she's merely an means to an end."

I try not to react. Nowadays his touch disgusts me. My eyes scan the room. My tape surely has to be here somewhere. Why did I have to drop down so low to his level? Why did I have to go and sleep with another man just because I found Nathan cheating on me? I should've known it was all a ploy to get my money just as he is now after Rocky's. Filthy men like him don't build an empire, they steal them and that's all he's good for.

"What do you say?" He whispers into my ear from behind me before turning to face me, his hand cupping my face as his thumb brushes my top lip. He steps forward, his body now pressed against mine. "Why don't we heat things up a little, you know, before we tear Rocky down."

I watch him before taking a step back. I have to be careful with how I approach this. Anything I say and do can be used against me. If I anger him, surely he'll use the tape against me. "Maybe," I say. "After all this is done and dusted, we could start afresh."

Nathan smiles and it repulses me. I cannot believe at one point I thought his smile was amazing. "Mikayla isn't here," he says wrapping his arm around my waist from behind. "And you don't have to fake liking Rocky because he isn't here either."

"Hmm," I whisper. "All that is true but so is the fact that you have my tape. I honestly thought we had something and you decided to use that against me."

Nathan laughs menacingly. "Just call it insurance. Doesn't mean we can't have fun. You have to admit, we were so electric together."

————————
*Rocky's Perspective*

I watch Nathan through the cameras take a call. Although I cannot hear what he says, the way his forehead creases and his upper lip quivers tells me it's not good news.

His free hand turns into a fist whilst his other hand pulls the phone away from his ear and disconnects the call aggressively. If I didn't know any better, I'd say he's got himself in a pickle.

A subtle smirk appears on my lips as I watch him take a seat and fiddle impatiently against the keyboard of his laptop. I probably need another camera that gives me better access to whatever is on his screen. Somehow I think that will come in handy.

A knock on the door draws my attention away from Nathan. "Come in."

Liam walks in. "It's done," he says. "Shortly there will be an investigation on Hamilton and Co."

I nod. "I didn't want it to go down this path but it's for the best."

Liam smiles. "Sky is with Mikayla right now. She's given them the documents. You might want to explain this to the board of directors."

Sighing, I stand from my chair and walk over to Liam. "Leave that with me," I tell him. "I need you to be vigilant with Sky. I don't trust Mikayla and Nathan at all. I don't want her to endure a single mark on her skin. She's my responsibility."

Liam nods. "I know but she's stubborn. You know there is no way she'd back away. You got very lucky with her. She'd put herself on the line for you."

I pat him on the back. "I need to thank you too. I know this isn't part of your job description but you've always gone out of your way for me."

"Well if the company goes down, I'll lose my job. I guess you could say I'm doing this to protect my job."

I laugh. "Call it what you want, Liam, but I know that's not why you help."

"You could've been a terrible boss," Liam says chuckling as he heads for the door. "But you chose not to. I guess I'm stuck helping you out because of that."

I laugh as I watch him exit before pulling my phone out and texting Sky. Don't do anything stupid and leave as soon as you can.

It's only seconds later my phone buzzes to notify me of a text. Yes boss, Sky replies.

I'm serious. Have your phone on you and notify me immediately if anything sounds amiss.

I'm okay. They're being quiet though and I'm about to leave their place. Can I come to your penthouse? I miss you.

My heart cripples. Since Nathan and Mikayla have kept a tab on Sky, she has been staying at the hotel and our communication is limited to just texts and calls and even then we've kept an attentive eye out.

I press a few buttons on my phone, text message confirms the booking is done and a smile appears on my lips. Colton Hotel, room 302. Meet you there at 7pm. Oh and wear something scandalous.

Ha ha. Will a brown paper bag do?

A smirk appears on my lips as I reply, I guess I can tear it off you so yes it'll do.

Be careful, love Sky. See you then.

My hand fists around my phone. I've missed her. I've missed her words, her lips, the way she feels under my hands, her sweet smell—I've missed it all.

Images begin to pop up in my head. Images of Sky laying on my bed and the things I could do to her. Images of her in the kitchen as she wears my shirt the morning after whilst I whip up a batch of pancakes. She loves pancakes. I shake my head. God, she makes me weak.

I turn my focus back on the computer and the first article sparks a fire in me. Rocky Hamilton accused of being involved in the sex trade industry.

It's the second article that burns like fire. Sky Calanharo is the result of a forced marriage.

Who the hell knows that? The only people involved in that matter was Sky and myself, with the exception of Liam and Daniella knowing.